Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????

Old 01-20-2012, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti
One thing to take into consideration is you are fitting a supercharger to a vehicle with stock compression ratios. Building boost too soon will cause peak cylinder pressure to rise faster at low RPMs which leads to increased heat and combustion problems that will damage the stock cast pistons. Of course you can always throw more fuel at it and pull timing to keep it cool but at that point, what is the point? Its is counter productive to make boost only to have to peel it back because you are going to melt something.

We all want more low end grunt out of it for wheeling but in all honesty, most of these rigs are spending time on the streets. If you want more low end grunt out if it, buy a Rubicrawler or go to a better ratio transfer case and call it a day. The RIPP system goes positive at 2k. You can crawl at 2k with a 4:1 transfer case in 4WLO just fine.

I personally would never consider a screw type unit on cast pistons. Making boost too soon is a recipe for meltdown.

As stated in the beginning of this thread I am no fi expert, but I am a somewhat skilled na engine builder.... And you wil have to explaine to me in much better detail why it's bad to build low
End tq Your statment makes no since to me..
Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pauldana
As stated in the beginning of this thread I am no fi expert, but I am a somewhat skilled na engine builder.... And you wil have to explaine to me in much better detail why it's bad to build low
End tq Your statment makes no since to me..
Simple - TOO MUCH Pressure early on with a stock cast piston breaks things - pistons tweak and crack ring landings - We've experienced this with other smaller displacement engines using positive displacement blowers... Centrifugals build boost throughout the engines natural volumetric air curve - better displacing the boost and peaking where the engines naturally is volumetrically efficient. The centrifugal simply feels like a larger engine over all from start to finish - getting more powerful throughout the RPM band.

As demonstrated in this end user video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjxcgPpdsyk&feature=related RIPPTECH
Old 01-20-2012, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti
One thing to take into consideration is you are fitting a supercharger to a vehicle with stock compression ratios. Building boost too soon will cause peak cylinder pressure to rise faster at low RPMs which leads to increased heat and combustion problems that will damage the stock cast pistons. Of course you can always throw more fuel at it and pull timing to keep it cool but at that point, what is the point? Its is counter productive to make boost only to have to peel it back because you are going to melt something.

We all want more low end grunt out of it for wheeling but in all honesty, most of these rigs are spending time on the streets. If you want more low end grunt out if it, buy a Rubicrawler or go to a better ratio transfer case and call it a day. The RIPP system goes positive at 2k. You can crawl at 2k with a 4:1 transfer case in 4WLO just fine.

I personally would never consider a screw type unit on cast pistons. Making boost too soon is a recipe for meltdown.
I am sorry but what you said makes no sense. The safest place to develop boost is in the low RPM range. Positive displacement chargers have always been the safest for stock engines due to low end power devlopment and limited high end power. Almost every car manufactures use positive displacement blowers as factory superchargers. Also twin screw blowers have a much better adiabatic efficiency than centi chargers and lower cylinder temperatures. Even though there is slightly more pressure in the low rpm band, the air temp is also lower. Also centi chargers develop significantly more pressure at the top of the rpm bands, which is always the main cause for engine failure.

I do also agree with you a rubicrawler would be better for crawling, but does nothing at all for you driving around town. Also the RIPP blower would be the best option for high rpm street driving. But the twin screw is the best combination of low end torque and extra power around town.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Simple - TOO MUCH Pressure early on with a stock cast piston breaks things - pistons tweak and crack ring landings - We've experienced this with other smaller displacement engines using positive displacement blowers... Centrifugals build boost throughout the engines natural volumetric air curve - better displacing the boost and peaking where the engines naturally is volumetrically efficient. The centrifugal simply feels like a larger engine over all from start to finish - getting more powerful throughout the RPM band.

As demonstrated in this end user video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjxcgPpdsyk&feature=related RIPPTECH
Again this is completely incorrect. Centrifugal blowers torque curves are almost as bad as turbos. Twin screw blowers are by far the safest blowers. They develop less heat than a centrifgual and they have the flattest torque curves. That is also why almost every single stock supercharged car is a positive dispacement. They have always been the most reliable and safest blowers. The Ford GT, every single Mercedes (SLR, E55AMG, S55, CL55, SLK32 and SL55 ), the Corvette ZR1, the Toyota Tundra TRD, the Ford Lighting, the Caddy CTS-V, and the list goes on. I cannot think of any vehicals except for acouple GM vans in the 90s that ever came stock with a vortech blower. I am also pretty sure Vortech has recently started producing twin screw superchargers themselves which outperformed their own centrigual blowers on the new Camaro.

When was the last time you have ever heard of someone with a positive displacement blower blowing their engine? I can list 12 of my local friends who have blown an engine with a vortech or procharger setup.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Again this is completely incorrect. Centrifugal blowers torque curves are almost as bad as turbos. Twin screw blowers are by far the safest blowers. They develop less heat than a centrifgual and they have the flattest torque curves. That is also why almost every single stock supercharged car is a positive dispacement. They have always been the most reliable and safest blowers. The Ford GT, every single Mercedes (SLR, E55AMG, S55, CL55, SLK32 and SL55 ), the Corvette ZR1, the Toyota Tundra TRD, the Ford Lighting, the Caddy CTS-V, and the list goes on. I cannot think of any vehicals except for acouple GM vans in the 90s that ever came stock with a vortech blower. I am also pretty sure Vortech has recently started producing twin screw superchargers themselves which outperformed their own centrigual blowers on the new Camaro.

When was the last time you have ever heard of someone with a positive displacement blower blowing their engine? I can list 12 of my local friends who have blown an engine with a vortech or procharger setup.
I am sorry but what you said makes no sense. The safest place to develop boost is in the low RPM range. Positive displacement chargers have always been the safest for stock engines due to low end power devlopment and limited high end power. Almost every car manufactures use positive displacement blowers as factory superchargers. Also twin screw blowers have a much better adiabatic efficiency than centi chargers and lower cylinder temperatures. Even though there is slightly more pressure in the low rpm band, the air temp is also lower. Also centi chargers develop significantly more pressure at the top of the rpm bands, which is always the main cause for engine failure.

I do also agree with you a rubicrawler would be better for crawling, but does nothing at all for you driving around town. Also the RIPP blower would be the best option for high rpm street driving. But the twin screw is the best combination of low end torque and extra power around town.
Thats exactly the point - OEM's that build an engine designed for boost will use X compressor and yes its safer - However - WHEN FITTING A compressor to an engine that is Naturally Aspirated the centrifugal will supply boost relative to the volumetric air-flow and therefore be "gentler" to the engine as a whole.. Positive Displacement imminently slams the engine with boost and brings the engine to a break point much sooner. Positive displacement powered JK's (based on information from our extensive dealer network) have lifted heads right off the block - To much pressure and nowhere to push it... whereas the centrifugal - lazier by design does not pound the heads subsequently lifting the then off the block. This not only makes it safer but also much easier to navigate off road.

Also to your point about using it off road - Positive displacement powered JK's have confessed its hard to properly rock crawl because the throttle input feels rubber bandy - in other words the blower rushes on and yo lose your "footing". Those who wheel with our kits have often voiced their confidence in our programming and power applications. Noting that its easy to set up and navigate tough obstacle based on our power delivery..

We want to make clear that we are bringing fact not theory to the table - our argument is based on the 3.8l V6 and not "other" engines...Other engines theories do not interest us - nor should they our clients. We consider ourselves at the forefront of the market when it comes to the 3.8. Having been through the entire engine top to bottom and tested for over 80000 miles. What we are saying is, given a choice we would not use a Positive displacement compressor on this engine based on the engines design - We believe comparing apples to apples our kits will deliver more reliable power and more value over all...

But again time will tell...

RIPPTECH

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 01-20-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will say that I have Aerospace Engineering and Math BS degrees from Univ of AZ and Molecular Physics masters from Penn. I have also designed an active aero shell and the current intake manifold for the Tim Fireball M600 (worlds fastest mini cooper). Personally I have built several high hp cars. I will concede that you know more about Jeeps than I do, but engines are nothing new to me. I was only discussing my experience and knowledge with both forms of induction.

But you are right, really at this point it is all conjecture by both sides. Really there is no way to know until the Sprintex blower is actually released and people start installing them. I am very interested in how this is going to turn out. I do greatly appreciate your active involvement in the forums. Customer service is just as important to me as product performance.

EDIT
I would also like to note, I have nothing invested in any kit and am being as unbiased as possible. I do not plan on installing either kit. I have a spare LS7 from my z06 that I blew and plan on rebuilding and transplanting into my Jeep at some point.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 01-20-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:05 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the answer to everyone's questions and comments.

Hemi or LS7
Old 01-20-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd stay away from RIPP. They seem to have too many problems and bugs with their product..seems like it would be very stressful calling everyday for another program fix.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fourwheelingbigbubba
I'd stay away from RIPP. They seem to have too many problems and bugs with their product..seems like it would be very stressful calling everyday for another program fix.
Please, if you are going to post defamatory information, give reasoning or source. Factless hate comments do not help anyone here.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Please, if you are going to post defamatory information, give reasoning or source. Factless hate comments do not help anyone here.
Its cool - thank you for that. MOPAR (Globally) released a bad batch of MAP sensors in 2011 and there was no way to know - The only way to correct it was to rewrite all of our tunes for any number of questionable MAP sensors - Thats all fixed now (took a minute) but we should have them all under control... Either way if there is an issue we have resolves in place and a catolge of corrected tunes.

I will say that I have Aerospace Engineering and Math BS degrees from Univ of AZ and Molecular Physics masters from Penn. I have also designed an active aero shell and the current intake manifold for the Tim Fireball M600 (worlds fastest mini cooper). Personally I have built several high hp cars. I will concede that you know more about Jeeps than I do, but engines are nothing new to me. I was only discussing my experience and knowledge with both forms of induction.

But you are right, really at this point it is all conjecture by both sides. Really there is no way to know until the Sprintex blower is actually released and people start installing them. I am very interested in how this is going to turn out. I do greatly appreciate your active involvement in the forums. Customer service is just as important to me as product performance.

EDIT
I would also like to note, I have nothing invested in any kit and am being as unbiased as possible. I do not plan on installing either kit. I have a spare LS7 from my z06 that I blew and plan on rebuilding and transplanting into my Jeep at some point.
Thank you for that..

We are not being unbiased we are being definitive in our position - Partly because we are invested but mostly because - We are invested in what we believe to be the safest most effective route towards our clients goals... after all they are putting their trust in us... and respectfully we do not take that lightly.

We appreciate and respect your education and the projects you've worked on. RIPP has spent a long time nursing and in some ways teaching the JK communities about forced induction - we have spent a lot of time ethically distributing product to end users who had a problem and needed a resolve... We have fought through the discussions about positive displacement and practical applications...and swaps. Its way to easy to simply say "everyone knows X is better" than the current solutions - when really we don't know squat... What we do know is RIPP powered JK's have been running around for 5 going-on 6 years and you don't see threads starting with MY engines fried... (thats across 5 forums and all of Facebook). So when a new company comes along and starts saying "we" -are- "better" simply "because" -and- clients are compelled to buy because of price - RIPP will be there adding clarity to the conversation and making sure there is a definitive understanding between kits and what we think defines a proper system.

We've spent a lot of time focused only on the compressor and not the kit... You've compared our system to other "kits", devoid of the fact that we're a little more than a kit, we are a Jeep part designed to be used the way Jeepers use their Jeeps and go where Jeepers go... for example we produce our own idlers - which are stainless steel and packed with $60 worth of bearings each (there's two)... and our kit comes with premium parts like NGK spark plugs so end users don't have to source them on their own. Or details like our programming - for example when you go into 4WD low our mapping knows it and corrects the throttle feel so its a better product off-road and makes the driver look like a rock star Either way we hope to have set an example so clients know enough to make an educated decision - if not we make sure to point it out...

On a side note (speaking humbly) we can BS big HP and records also - RIPP campaigned that fastest Honda Product on the East Coast for 2 years in 98-99 and the fastest Acura Integra for 99 pro FWD season -With our (00-06) Mitsubishi program we had the fastest and most powerful 3g/4g Eclipses in the country, with our Hyundai we dominated a Hyundai road race event in Mid-Ohio and exported RIPP kits to Hyundai Korea to be featured on 30 special addition vehicles. We were also recognized by SEMA and Hyundai USA with a top product award in 2005. We've built our share of 1000hp cars as well... but as we're sure you know they break....

Our Jeeps kits are not to bad either

RIPPTECH

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 01-20-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????