Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bigger tires,now steering feels funny....

Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger tires,now steering feels funny....

Let me start by saying i read the whole thing about caster and what not,but what i cannot understand is that all i did was swap my stock 17"moabs with 255/75/17....with 17x9 black addicts/295/70/17 nittos trailers.
I understand i went up on diameter and they are 2 inches wider.....does the toe need to be adjusted any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to tell us more, what's funny? With a wider or taller tire handling characteristics will change for sure.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skibovr6
You need to tell us more, what's funny? With a wider or taller tire handling characteristics will change for sure.
shifting lanes at highway speeds feels touchy (squirrelly),like i have to hold on to the wheel afraid im going to oversteer..
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi

Wider tires can have a floaty feeling at highway speeds. If you didnt lift, i would start with tire pressure check and a balance check
Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Grab a tape measure and search project JK for the do it yourself alignment. I had a toe out condition and fixed the flighty feeling with an alignment
Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Jedi

I would check your toe, and tire psi. I run my 35's at 25 psi, and have played with it a lot and this is best for me.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattgt5
Wider tires can have a floaty feeling at highway speeds. If you didnt lift, i would start with tire pressure check and a balance check
I didnt lift yet,but i have a TF 2.5 coil kit coming and i also bought the adjustable front lowers to dial the caster back to normal...
Old 10-11-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
I would check your toe, and tire psi. I run my 35's at 25 psi, and have played with it a lot and this is best for me.
wow 25....mine have 32 psi...could that be it...
Old 10-11-2012, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

Probably air pressure if all you did was change tire size. I have had cars go like this and started changing idler arms, drag links, center links...ETC and all the while it was tire pressure. Just go down a couple lbs at a time. You would be surprised what a difference it makes sometimes.
Let us know how you make out?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Opalgem
Probably air pressure if all you did was change tire size. I have had cars go like this and started changing idler arms, drag links, center links...ETC and all the while it was tire pressure. Just go down a couple lbs at a time. You would be surprised what a difference it makes sometimes.
Let us know how you make out?
I will do it tomorow and keep you posted...Thank you

Quick Reply: Bigger tires,now steering feels funny....