Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumper of Shame

Old 12-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With a reccessed fairlead mount like that you want to make sure that on side pulls the line doesnt touch.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the ARB front as well, but no winch yet. I've thought about checking with a local machine shop to have them machine a solide piece of aluminum the same opening on the ARB and mill out the slot for the winch line.

Only downside is it be one large piece of aluminum. You could actually have them machine a larger diameter edge for the fairlead opening.

1st we have companies making accessories for our Jeeps, now we need someone making accessories for our accessories.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Would it be possible to mount the fairlead on the inside of the bumper facing the winch then that black hawse on the outside? That would protect the rope from touching the bumper between the winch and hawse, then the hawse should protect the rope from rubbing the front of the bumper depending on how far it sticks out.

Just an idea?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by FuLcRuM
Would it be possible to mount the fairlead on the inside of the bumper facing the winch then that black hawse on the outside? That would protect the rope from touching the bumper between the winch and hawse, then the hawse should protect the rope from rubbing the front of the bumper depending on how far it sticks out.

Just an idea?
I'm trying to avoid using two fairleads, plus I believe that a traditional roller fairlead would be adequate - was just hoping to save some weight, and go with a "cleaner" look by utilizing an aluminum fairlead hawse. Thanks for the thought though.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Believe me, synthetic line can fray and unravel with the smallest contact to a sharp edge.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
... was just hoping to save some weight... by utilizing an aluminum fairlead hawse.
Man i don't think that saving 5lbs. on the fairlead is going to matter on a ~95lb. bumper

So when are you going to get the new bumper put on?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bama JK
Man i don't think that saving 5lbs. on the fairlead is going to matter on a ~95lb. bumper

So when are you going to get the new bumper put on?
Hopefully before I head up to the Coal Creek ride Dec 27-28 (It's in The South sticky section). At the moment, it's actually temporarily mounted on Wilbur while I figure out wiring, etc.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:21 PM
JK Junkie

Default Bumper and Winch Mounted

Well, after installing the ARB I've decided I should have titled this thread, "Bumper of Pain". For the most part, I like the way everything turned out, but whew, this bumper was a pill to install. Eventually had to pull out a drill and start enlarging mount holes of factory frame in order to achieve enough tolerance to allow all the bolts to be attached (you might check yours if you had a shop do it, as they may have been tempted to leave off one or two).

Mounted bumper first, and then was able to easily install Superwinch EPi9.0S (bumper-winch bolt tolerance was very tight - 1mm either way, and it was a no go . . . but with everything perfectly aligned, the install was possible).

Anyway, here's a quick pic I took today of bumper and winch. Need to mount lights next, but already fit checked and all looks good.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Junkie

Maybe the ORO X-Line fairlead will cover that hole? It's a bigger hawse fairlead than that one.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks really good.