Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumper of Shame

Old 01-09-2009, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are off set fair leads that would likely be centered in the space on your bumper. this is mine. made by spyder trax
i know its hard to tell but i have this mounted upside down and had to open the space a little to make it work. i really needed one like yours
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0410.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	17586  

Last edited by medbender; 01-09-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally, i prefer the blue anodized one. it just looks better to me. it would be very easy to fab a plate to make that look better.

corey d
Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Yes, I'm ashamed of how this aluminum fairlead hawse fits on this ARB Deluxe bumper (see pics below). When I bought the bumper, I thought there would be a mounting plate or something included in the parts which would allow installation of a fairlead hawse , but there wasn't. Checking on the web, it appears I can only use a fairlead roller (delrin) with this bumper - unless someone knows otherwise. The Superwinch I purchased came with synthetic rope, and the hawse.

Can anyone provide input/advice as to what my options might be if I try to use the parts I have? Thanks.
I'd say ditch the Hawse fairlead and run a roller. I've had both with synthetic and I think the Hawse is much harder on the rope and causes it to feather.

I'm beefing up my roller failead right now and making it a 1 1/2" wider. After a coat of black epoxy paint it will go back on.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie

Just another recent pic of bumper and winch (this configuration is starting to grow on me).

Old 07-05-2010, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default reviving this thread!

I'm trying to avoid using two fairleads...
Hi, I'm currently facing the same situation here with the ARB front bumper, trying to find out what might be the best way to fit a hawse fairlead in there

May I ask why you didn't consider using two hawse fairleads?
Was it because of any possible extra strain on the line that you were trying to avoid?

Thanks!

X.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ZooL
Hi, I'm currently facing the same situation here with the ARB front bumper, trying to find out what might be the best way to fit a hawse fairlead in there

May I ask why you didn't consider using two hawse fairleads?
Was it because of any possible extra strain on the line that you were trying to avoid?

Thanks!

X.
In the end, never needed the double fairleads. I was more concerned with the angle of an extreme sideways pull causing damage to my synthetic rope by coming into contact with the bumper fairlead opening, but have never encountered that condition yet (keeping fingers crossed).

Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winch?

JK Rubi

Are you happy with your winch so far?
Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gfe jeep
JK Rubi

Are you happy with your winch so far?
Ooohhhhh Yeeaaahhh!!! Fast, quite, strong pulls. I never had need for a winch, but I no sooner had it mounted than it was pulling me out of trouble.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

In the end, never needed the double fairleads...
great! thanks!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, you could have just got another piece of steel and cut a nice rectangle to cover the hole. Then cut out a hole just big enough for the blue plate to bolt on to. A little powder coat job and it would have been done.