Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you stick 5.38 Gears in a Dana 30??

Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skibum
I have a friend who's gone through three sets of 5.13 R&Ps. Just to damned small for serious wheeling. I would personally not go any smaller than 4.88 and at that, I wouldn't lock it.
I just blew my 5.13 D30 - 5 teeth chunked... not even in 4wd. Imagine the forces involved of the ring trying to spin that little pinion - combination cold-weather, thick diff oil, backing out of a parking spot.

I took the ring off the carrier and slapped it all back together and I think I'm getting about 20% better mileage already.

I'm done with the 30. Looking for a used 44, or seeing if I can afford to go 60 in the front in time for summer wheeling.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coley
I just blew my 5.13 D30 - 5 teeth chunked... not even in 4wd. Imagine the forces involved of the ring trying to spin that little pinion - combination cold-weather, thick diff oil, backing out of a parking spot.

I took the ring off the carrier and slapped it all back together and I think I'm getting about 20% better mileage already.

I'm done with the 30. Looking for a used 44, or seeing if I can afford to go 60 in the front in time for summer wheeling.
How did it break w/o even being in 4wd? That seems impossible.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by highoctane
How did it break w/o even being in 4wd? That seems impossible.
Trail damage that didn't show itself until later would be my guess.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently broke my 5.13 ring gear teeth last December. They were G2 gears. I replaced with Yukons just to get past winter but I too am done with the 30. I'm hoping to pull the trigger on a PR44 early summer.

Quick Reply: Can you stick 5.38 Gears in a Dana 30??