Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clicking noise in 4wd

Old 12-16-2007, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise in 4wd

Just noticed last night as I was climbing through a frozen snow mound(from a snow pow) I have a clicking noise when I spin the tires in 4 hi. Checked again this morning and it's there every time I get hard on the gas in 4wd. Any Ideas on this???

Thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtlr
Just noticed last night as I was climbing through a frozen snow mound(from a snow pow) I have a clicking noise when I spin the tires in 4 hi. Checked again this morning and it's there every time I get hard on the gas in 4wd. Any Ideas on this???

Thanks
My Clicking was my front drive line at the transfer case end and only in 4WD....it came apart on the freeway at 70MPH....stock drive lines suck.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKNUT
My Clicking was my front drive line at the transfer case end and only in 4WD....it came apart on the freeway at 70MPH....stock drive lines suck.
thats now good. How do I inspect it? And should I try the dealer see if they will cover it under warr??
Old 12-16-2007, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

thats now good. How do I inspect it? And should I try the dealer see if they will cover it under warr??
I called David at Northridge and he shipped me aftermarket replacements (1310). When I removed it there was no lubrication and it had gotten very hot on the inside but I couldent see anything when looking at the day earlier....Give the dealer a shot it should be covered.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I doubt the dealer would cover it if your lift is already on your Jeep. I have read on here that the stock drive lines don't last long after a lift. I have heard the go out in as little as 400 miles to 10,000 miles after a lift.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tore the slip yoke boot on my front driveshaft and it caused a "cliking" sound as the torn peice slapped against the side of the transmission. I took it to a local driveline shop and had it replaced for $11. I eventually plan to replace the front and rear shafts when I have the cash. The dealer will tell you that the boot is a non-servicable part and you have to buy the entire shaft.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKNUT
You were 4wheeling on the freeway??
Old 12-16-2007, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

The front DS spins all the time, 4wd or not.

You sound seems liek a Ujoint, just graqb em all and jerk em back and forth, look for any play.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

check your exhaust manifold, you might have some manifold bolts loose/ a cracked exhaust
Old 12-16-2007, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

I am saying front shaft the front spins all the time but when lock in it gets load put though the shaft mine does the samething going though sand or just dirt in the dirt

look at your boots on the front shaft they are probably torn somewhere and slung all the grease out

Quick Reply: Clicking noise in 4wd