Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

clutch help

Old 05-11-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ssg381
No visible leaks and reservoir is still topped off. Could this be a Tranny issue? Once the Jeep is motion i have no problem shifting, it only gives problem on a complete stop.
Does the clutch engage early? If yes, I'd agree with the earlier post that recommended bleeding the system properly -- But before that, remove the slave cylinder from the bell housing (lines still connected), peel back the rubber dust boot and check for leaking fluid in the boot. BTW, the clutch uses the brake fluid reservoir and there's a baffle inside to keep a clutch leak from draining all the fluid.

I had two new slaves in a row that were leakers, and it was more difficult than brakes to bleed. If I remember right, I ended up bleeding it before installing in the bell housing so the cylinder could be angled-up with the bleeder (towards the rear) high to better get the bubbles out.

If you're not into repairs like this, definitely take it somewhere else. If it is improper bleeding and not disengaging properly, the transmission synchros will wear out quickly. And regarding not being able to shift into gear at a stop with the engine running: The only difference is the engine is spinning the clutch. And IF the clutch is truly disengaged, shutting off the engine will make no difference even with a bad transmission.

Last edited by Mr.T; 05-11-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

This may help, my clutch slave bleed method is about halfway down this post: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...linder-278107/

Old 05-11-2014, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the Awesome advice guys… Didnt know what other route to take. Ill keep you updated.. You guys Rock

Quick Reply: clutch help