Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Problems, Again

Old 04-03-2015, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problems, Again

So a little background. Last October I started to feel problems shifting. It wasn't gears grinding, the shifter just wasn't sliding into gear like it's supposed to. It started graudual with first and reverse being difficult, and then became next to impossible. The other gears could get shifted into easier, but still wasn't right. I replaced the master and slave clutch cylinders without a difference in the problem. So I finally gave up and took it to a shop to get a more knowledgeable option. He said I might have gotten some water in the trans causing my pilot bearing to seize up. So I made an appointment and ordered the parts I wanted. I got a center force pressure plate and clutch disk, mopar flywheel and pilot bearing, and moog throw out bearing. I spoke to center force and they said that these parts wouldn't cause any issues and should go well together. In November the shop replaced everything and the clutch felt great.

Now back to two weeks ago. I feel the same symptoms starting again. Then it went away and I thought it was a freak accident and put it in the back of my mind. Now today I'm driving and first and reverse are extremely difficult to get into. To the point where I almost can't get into first again. I really need to force the shifter to finally get it into gear.

I don't know what to do. I love my wrangler and don't want to get rid of it, but if I have to replace my clutch AGAIN it's gonna piss me off. And deplete any chance I have of getting 35s soon. I'm going to replace my trans fluid tomorrow and see if there are any unusual shavings, and hopefully the syncro mesh clears it all up.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
So a little background. Last October I started to feel problems shifting. It wasn't gears grinding, the shifter just wasn't sliding into gear like it's supposed to. It started graudual with first and reverse being difficult, and then became next to impossible. The other gears could get shifted into easier, but still wasn't right. I replaced the master and slave clutch cylinders without a difference in the problem. So I finally gave up and took it to a shop to get a more knowledgeable option. He said I might have gotten some water in the trans causing my pilot bearing to seize up. So I made an appointment and ordered the parts I wanted. I got a center force pressure plate and clutch disk, mopar flywheel and pilot bearing, and moog throw out bearing. I spoke to center force and they said that these parts wouldn't cause any issues and should go well together. In November the shop replaced everything and the clutch felt great. Now back to two weeks ago. I feel the same symptoms starting again. Then it went away and I thought it was a freak accident and put it in the back of my mind. Now today I'm driving and first and reverse are extremely difficult to get into. To the point where I almost can't get into first again. I really need to force the shifter to finally get it into gear. I don't know what to do. I love my wrangler and don't want to get rid of it, but if I have to replace my clutch AGAIN it's gonna piss me off. And deplete any chance I have of getting 35s soon. I'm going to replace my trans fluid tomorrow and see if there are any unusual shavings, and hopefully the syncro mesh clears it all up.
What year? How many miles? Does it get better as the engine warms up? Have you experienced the gears pop out? What gears did it pop out of? If you experienced the last two questions did you get it looked at? Was anything fixed? Just the inner boot or did you have the syncros done too?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bevan7170

What year? How many miles? Does it get better as the engine warms up? Have you experienced the gears pop out? What gears did it pop out of? If you experienced the last two questions did you get it looked at? Was anything fixed? Just the inner boot or did you have the syncros done too?
2008 with 43k miles and I replaced the clutch around 40k. I experience the gear pop out in my 2dr before I traded it in but not in my 4dr. So I know what it is, but haven't had any of those symptoms in the 4dr.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

2008 with 43k miles and I replaced the clutch around 40k. I experience the gear pop out in my 2dr before I traded it in but not in my 4dr. So I know what it is, but haven't had any of those symptoms in the 4dr.
Shit. I have a 2010 with 38k and having similar problems. Reverse was always a problem but then getting into first. Added some lucas transmission fluid and thought it helped but not much. Considered new clutch but not sure now. Synchros were mentioned when i first posted a thread. Please keep us posted!
Old 04-04-2015, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SWFL
Shit. I have a 2010 with 38k and having similar problems. Reverse was always a problem but then getting into first. Added some lucas transmission fluid and thought it helped but not much. Considered new clutch but not sure now. Synchros were mentioned when i first posted a thread. Please keep us posted!
Well, I replaced the transmission fluid with penzoil syncromesh with high hopes, but shifting is still becoming a problem. And a quite the fast rate. I was trying to parallel park today and couldn't get it into reverse. Then when I was finally able to force it back, she stalled out. Really pissing me off at this point. I finally got my 4dr to where I wanted and was saving up for some larger tires, but now my clutch is becoming an issue again.

Any ideas please help.

I'll probably send centerforce and the shop I got my work done at an email this week and see what they say. I know its considered a wear part, but it hasn't even been 6 months since the replacement.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

At what point does the clutch engage the gears? Close to when it's fully depressed or almost upon full release of the pedal?
Old 04-05-2015, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bevan7170
At what point does the clutch engage the gears? Close to when it's fully depressed or almost upon full release of the pedal?
It disengages/engages around full release. I would say about 3/4 from full depression.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Well, I replaced the transmission fluid with penzoil syncromesh with high hopes, but shifting is still becoming a problem. And a quite the fast rate. I was trying to parallel park today and couldn't get it into reverse. Then when I was finally able to force it back, she stalled out. Really pissing me off at this point. I finally got my 4dr to where I wanted and was saving up for some larger tires, but now my clutch is becoming an issue again.

Any ideas please help.

I'll probably send centerforce and the shop I got my work done at an email this week and see what they say. I know its considered a wear part, but it hasn't even been 6 months since the replacement.

What did you replace clutch with? Centerforce DF098391 Dual Friction Clutch Pressure Plate and Disc ? I don't even know of any other options.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

If the clutch engaged at the bottom I would say faulty components but where it is should be ok. When mine went out I literally still HD my foot to the floor for gear changes. You're not loosing fluid and the slave cylinder is good. My guess would be the syncro rings not lining up right.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems, Again