Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Problems, Again

Old 04-15-2015, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update:

I got my jeep back from the shop on Friday last week. They weren't able to find anything when it was on the lift, or while they were driving around. So apart from pulling the trans out they said they can't do anything. I've been driving it more and haven't noticed anything. The problem seems to be more consistent when I don't drive anywhere for about a week and then go for a drive. Not sure if this is because the clutch is just getting more use now and isn't sitting around or what, but so far so good. And it looks like I'll be able to make the Windrock trip I was planning on in the beginning of May.

Fingers crossed it doesn't return.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was running some errands today and it reappeared again. When reversing out of my driveway, then shifting into first it I got a slight resistance and short grinding noise. Then after about 45 minutes of the vehicle running it appeared a couple more times within a short period. I felt as if I was shifting into a wall for 1st and 2nd. I'm going to windrock from may 1-3 and really don't want to run into transmission issues there. I have been taking a lot of patience when shifting to try and prevent this problem (waiting for the engine to stop accelerating, then depressing the clutch, then waiting and shifting). Hopefully I can get through my trip without issues. As I'm a week away I don't plan on going to the shop again, unless it gets to the point where I can't drive it again.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably already looked but pull the outer boot and the inner one. My inner boot was binding up with the shifter maligning it hard to go into reverse and first to second. It would go away when the jeep got hot probably due to the rubber becoming flexible. Sounds dumb but worked for me I had some of the same issues you do z
Old 04-23-2015, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kfast24
You probably already looked but pull the outer boot and the inner one. My inner boot was binding up with the shifter maligning it hard to go into reverse and first to second. It would go away when the jeep got hot probably due to the rubber becoming flexible. Sounds dumb but worked for me I had some of the same issues you do z
I'll take a look a that, but it seems the problem occurs after more driving. I really have no idea what the scenario is to recreate the problem, it's so random.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Former Member

I have a 2008 and my clutch just flat out died out on me. I was stranded at a gas station and had to have my Jeep towed to a dealrship.

They wanted too much money to replace it so I took it to AAMCO and they put in a decent disc and slave cylinder or whatever. Its a german brand called LUK which I believe makes the MOPAR clutch in the first place. I dont think its for serious hardcore off road but decent for everyday driving.

You have to think of the flywheel / pressure plate as a giant brakepad ... eventually its going to wear out.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Muscles
I have a 2008 and my clutch just flat out died out on me. I was stranded at a gas station and had to have my Jeep towed to a dealrship.

They wanted too much money to replace it so I took it to AAMCO and they put in a decent disc and slave cylinder or whatever. Its a german brand called LUK which I believe makes the MOPAR clutch in the first place. I dont think its for serious hardcore off road but decent for everyday driving.

You have to think of the flywheel / pressure plate as a giant brakepad ... eventually its going to wear out.
Yea, I replaced the pressure plate, clutch disk, flywheel, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing in November. Mostly with Centerforce and Moog parts, and a Mopar flywheel (because the Centerforce one was $580). So right now I doubt it has already worn out.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any updates on the clutch?
Old 04-30-2015, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bevan7170
Any updates on the clutch?
Nothing has happened for a while. I pulled the inner and outer boots and checked the noise dampening pad that's between the shifter and tub under the inner boot. I just wanted to re-seat the inner boot and noticed a small tear, but nothing I think is a problem. Going to Windrock this weekend and keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you sure that tear was not a pinch point?
Old 10-11-2015, 09:09 AM
lyd
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at my attached picture. I have had the same problems as you. Centerforce center balancing ring was stuck in the housing of the clutch in stead of free floating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151011_123944.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	4.71 MB
ID:	626977

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
Nothing has happened for a while. I pulled the inner and outer boots and checked the noise dampening pad that's between the shifter and tub under the inner boot. I just wanted to re-seat the inner boot and noticed a small tear, but nothing I think is a problem. Going to Windrock this weekend and keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems, Again