Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coast Front Driveshaft Install

Old 07-30-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coast Front Driveshaft Install

Hey guys,
My Coast 1310 front driveshaft arrives tomorrow. I was planning on installing it myself but I've been reading alot about pinion preload and crush sleeves. I've also read where people have been just using 160 ft/lbs. and calling it a day. Is this an acceptable method? I don't have access to a needle type torque wrench nor do I know how to check the preload. I guess what I am asking is, Should I just take this to a driveline shop or would they just do it the easy way (i.e. not checking preload).

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With no automotive experience, I would take it to a transmission shop or a automotive repair shop and have it installed.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Project jk has a driveshaft write up on their site which makes the install look pretty simple
Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Maybe I just got lucky, but I installed mine myself using the directions on project jk and have had zero issues in 3 months. Used 4wd about 4-5 times over this time.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks for the response

Originally Posted by Rich6700
With no automotive experience, I would take it to a transmission shop or a automotive repair shop and have it installed.
It's not that I have NO automotive experience, I have never done this before and don't know if the whole preload check is necessary. I'd like to save some dough but you may be right.

Originally Posted by Atch
Project jk has a driveshaft write up on their site which makes the install look pretty simple
That is the installation I was planning to follow

Originally Posted by HCSTHS43
Maybe I just got lucky, but I installed mine myself using the directions on project jk and have had zero issues in 3 months. Used 4wd about 4-5 times over this time.
How many miles have you put on the jeep since you've done it? I've read a lot of comments just like yours. They always seem to start with "Maybe I'm just lucky" haha.

Anybody else install their own without setting/checking the preload?

Last edited by williard86; 07-30-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by williard86

How many miles have you put on the jeep since you've done it? I've read a lot of comments just like yours. They always seem to start with "Maybe I'm just lucky" haha.
I don't drive real far, so only about 2200 miles on it so far, with about 5 or 6 hrs of offroad driving using 4wd
Old 07-30-2012, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

I was kinda of nervous about it for a bit, and then just kinda said what the heck and went for it. Whats the worst that could happen
Old 07-30-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCSTHS43
I was kinda of nervous about it for a bit, and then just kinda said what the heck and went for it. Whats the worst that could happen
Haha...I think you can destroy the pinion if I'm not mistaken. I'm going to call a few places in the morning and see what they'd charge. if its more than I want to pay then I'm gonna go for it. I need my 4 wheel drive back dammit!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I followed the guide on project jk and had no problems... check the spicer joint when you get yours and make sure all the lock rings are secure.

You can do the install with the jeep on the ground which might be easier b/c if the front wheels are off the ground you will need someone to step on the brakes (with engine on for power) when you torque down the axle output joint... i think if its on the ground and you have the parking brake on you could prolly torque without any help.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default thanks

Originally Posted by hypeiv
I followed the guide on project jk and had no problems... check the spicer joint when you get yours and make sure all the lock rings are secure.

You can do the install with the jeep on the ground which might be easier b/c if the front wheels are off the ground you will need someone to step on the brakes (with engine on for power) when you torque down the axle output joint... i think if its on the ground and you have the parking brake on you could prolly torque without any help.
I saw where the guys snapped one because of the lock ring. Thanks for the tip.

Any greasing I should do on the spline or other wise?

Quick Reply: Coast Front Driveshaft Install