Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilover valving

Old 09-01-2015, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, I wanted to go this way instead of a bolt on as i have seen the two main companies and they don't feel right and still need tuning. And as it is now i will about half the price and it will be more tuned for my rig.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I think evo used too heavy a coil rate and gets people to buy too long a shock unless they are running a lot of lift. If you are running less then 5" of lift I think you would be lacing available up travel . How much shaft do you have at ride height and how much distance do you have between bumps? What travel are you running 12" or 14"? Most evo set ups I see are not properly set up,
Thanks for replying Dirtman & sorry for the hijack op! I'm running a little under 4" of lift with very little preload on the adjustment collar. I'm not sure if the exact measurements of the shaft or between bumps but I do have 1" of shock shaft showing at full bump with 4" bumpstops. The Rear EVO spec King coilovers for the bolt on kit are actually 10". Hers a pic of the setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2534176230.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	623456
Old 09-01-2015, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not a problem! A friend of mine is running the King bolt on in the rear and he loaded his down with regular tools and a cooler and other stuff and he is resting on the bumpstops. So im not sure how they set them up if you cant really load stuff in the rear..
Old 09-01-2015, 04:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by SF Nick
Thanks for replying Dirtman & sorry for the hijack op! I'm running a little under 4" of lift with very little preload on the adjustment collar. I'm not sure if the exact measurements of the shaft or between bumps but I do have 1" of shock shaft showing at full bump with 4" bumpstops. The Rear EVO spec King coilovers for the bolt on kit are actually 10". Hers a pic of the setup.

Attachment 623456
With that set up you are limited due to using the factory morning positions. I am not sure if the synergy or eve brackets that raise the upper mount work on the model of shocks you have or not but if you could get a bit more shaft showing at ride height with some more preload it should help with the booming out, otherwise you may want to increase the compression rate or look into some air bumps to cushion the high speed running.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexyJK
Not a problem! A friend of mine is running the King bolt on in the rear and he loaded his down with regular tools and a cooler and other stuff and he is resting on the bumpstops. So im not sure how they set them up if you cant really load stuff in the rear..
He simply needs to increase the preload for when he is running heavy or swap coils for a bigger rate.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

He simply needs to increase the preload for when he is running heavy or swap coils for a bigger rate.
Thats what he is doing tomorrow. The guy building mine is adjusting the preload and when he gets back from his trip he will help tune them and get them dialed.

Thanks for all the help and info. Once I get mine on and going Im sure ill have a ton of questions.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats what he is doing tomorrow. The guy building mine is adjusting the preload and when he gets back from his trip he will help tune them and get them dialed.

Thanks for all the help and info. Once I get mine on and going Im sure ill have a ton of questions.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

With that set up you are limited due to using the factory morning positions. I am not sure if the synergy or eve brackets that raise the upper mount work on the model of shocks you have or not but if you could get a bit more shaft showing at ride height with some more preload it should help with the booming out, otherwise you may want to increase the compression rate or look into some air bumps to cushion the high speed running.
Funny that you say that because I actually have the Synergy upper mounts installed but due to the Piggy back reservoir I had to mount them in the stock shock upper mount. I'm thinking about buying 10" or 12" coilovers with a remote res & mounting them up in the Synergy location. They only down side I see is that I won't be able to use my stock rear sway bar. Do you think that the slight increase in the angle by mounting them up and out will cause any issues?
Old 09-01-2015, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also saw this the other day at a Jeep show and thought it was just crazy to put a spacer on a coilovers for more lift. Has any one ever seen this before? He also had a shaved Dana 44

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4112691863.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	525.5 KB
ID:	623469
Old 09-02-2015, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

^. Looks like an attempt to regain some of the travel lost by the EVO kits. A 10" coil over with 4" bump stops will net less wheel travel than factory. In my opinion, the bolt on rear CO kits for a JK leave an awful lot to be desired. Travel is often sacrificed, and shock angle is not good for maintaining a consistent spring rate.

The shaved 44 is interesting. Haven't seen anyone with that.

Quick Reply: Coilover valving