Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intake....Yes/No?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say my personal experience with a banks CAI worked wonders on the expressway but thats about it. afte rlift and 35's my jeep was a slug, I then tuned it, noticed a slight difference, but once I put the intake on I definitely needed less throttle to maintain speeds over 70. you surely will hear from most folks it doesnt do a thing, but with my experience and a tune it did the job before the sprintex went on.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought my JK used and it had a CAI and exhaust already installed. I ve driven it for the past three years with the CAI but I m going wheeling this weekend and its supposed to be pretty muddy and wet. I bought a stock air box off of craigslist and am going to make the trip with it. I ll post the difference in gas mileage and sound that I notice this weekend. I m not anticipating a difference in mpgs but I am anticipating a difference in sound. I guess we will see
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by moe jk

Same here wish I didn't buy one, just recently put my stock back in have the same mpg and HP! feels exactly the same, now selling my k&n
I had the k&n too
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM
JK Newbie

my buddy had a cold air intake on it with a throttle body spacer, we installed it and took it for a drive. did it sound pretty good yes it did if you like that kind of gasping noise it makes, did it make his jeep perform any better maybe a little. did it suck up water and lock up his engine offroading one day hell ya it did. jeep died in about a 2 foot mud hole that my jeep was rolling through and he had 4 inches of lift and decent tires. after about 2 hours of drying it out and cleaning out the intake the jeep started and started to act somewhat normal, but after that the jeep really didn't act the same way and he traded it in like 2 months later. idk if there was really any real gains on it but that's just from my personal experience we had almost the same jeep just different tires. maybe a little more punch of the line but nothing crazy. i know he was afraid every time we went offraoding though and i can tell you my stock intake has seen some water and mud and am pretty impressed with how it seals. i was looking into them just to get me a little more power on the highways but i know there is other things i could do with my money
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool sound. Gas mileage increase if you're conservative with the throttle, but you can get that without a CAI. I regret putting mine on for the mere fact your jeep is reasonably water "resistant" with factory air box, you'll always have a nagging feeling with a CAI that that mud hole is too deep, or you're going to fast for that puddle, and overall it's a pretty steep bet if it is too deep
Just stick to a drop in filter with grater flow
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Why not...It's what you want...Airaid has a nice fit...Sounds a little better also...
Old 01-16-2013, 02:37 AM
JK Newbie

OK...so I'm new to the Jeep life so I'm going to ask....if none of these aftermarket products do anything,why do they make them? Besides taking our money. CIA don't really do anything,TBS?? Mufflers?? Confused.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Took the CAI out a put the factory air box back in today and yes there is definitely a change in the sound. I will monitor the MPGs but I m not expecting any change.....
Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 12 Arctic Unlimited
Why not...It's what you want...Airaid has a nice fit...Sounds a little better also...
The thing I don't care for with airaid, is that you have to hack up the stock air box and reuse parts for the install. If you decide to pull it out and sell it, you don't have a stock air box to put back in.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Monster696
I have heard CAI are notorious for allowing water in and hydro lock. This has been my hesitance.
Can anyone verify or add to this.
I swamped out my 2010 in a mud hole that wasn't very deep at all. I hit it kind hard but thats wheeling. I had a Airaid cold air intake and throttle body spacer. It sucked water right into my engine. It almost hydrolocked, but it never ran the same again. That is why I have a 2012 in the process of being built. MosterJeep 07 is talking about my 2010 in the post above.

Last edited by ozarkjohn; 02-16-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake....Yes/No?