Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Compare Currie and Teraflex tie rod and drag link

Old 03-05-2018, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compare Currie and Teraflex tie rod and drag link

I'm in the market for a new tie rod and drag link. The two that I am considering are Teraflex and Currie. The Teraflex system is selling for $750 and the Currie for around $530. Both are selling on Amazon. Is the Teraflex worth the additional $200? How do these two compare quality and strength wise? Am I missing something?
Old 03-05-2018, 06:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

check out steersmart
Old 03-05-2018, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Currie for $530 that must just be the tie rod as they generally sell for $1200 for the set. Personally I would not do either one and would look at metal cloak and synergy.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I would skip the Synergy suggestion unless they stopped shipping those dumb white joint covers with slinky springs wrapped around them that pop off, tear when you lube the joints and also cause their steering parts to droop and flop around. Outside of those joint boot covers, where they do have some improved designed replacements available, they're great steering parts but could use some upgrades out of the box. I would look at Steersmarts offerings if they have something in a similar price range you're comfortable with. Both TF and Currie are ok alternatives, but as TheDirtman mentioned, the currie combo is typically much more than what you listed. There's better options in those same price ranges in my opinion.

These parts tend to be all over the place with prices. What's your main goals? If you want something that can be banged on top of rocks and snap back into shape for rock crawling, then your cost is going to be on the high side. If you want an HD upgrade over stock, to firm up your steering with larger tires, then that puts you in some lower cost options. If you provide the budget you're comfortable with spending, and what you want to get out of these parts, we can likely point you in the best direction considerations. If you're comfortable with the TF $750 price, then I feel there may be some better options. If you're more comfortable with what you thought was the Currie $550 price, there's some good options to be found there as well but don't expect to be banging them off of rocks and having them snap back into shape.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-06-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've run Synergy's original style drag link for nine years and other than replace the stock joint at the pitman for a Moog it's been bulletproof. It has a GM 1 ton joint at the knuckle that's been good for nearly 70k Miles. After doinking the stock tie rod on Mt Blanca, I used it as an excuse to go with Reid knuckles and Synergy's tie rod. The tie rod has Synergy's outstanding TREs. Yes, even with their white boots and Slinky springs they've all worked great. I've managed to smack the living crap out of the tie rod and it has sloughed it off. Good alternative.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm not trying to bash the Synergy since they are good. They could just use some minor upgrades out of the box with those white slinky joint boots. It would be disappointing if they're still shipping with those white boots seeing as they now have some upgraded replacement boots available that seem to fix those associated problems.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

My budget is the holdup sort of. I do wheel my Jeep fairly hard once or twice per year and that is the reason my stock tie rod is bent. I would like to get something that will hold up to me dropping it on a rock but also be able to buy it from amazon where I can get interest free financing for 6 months or so.
The Currie I was talking about is 533 on amazon for both the tie rod and drag link, but the tie rod looks more like a stock one with the curve in it. It is called Correctlync JK 9704. https://www.currieenterprises.com/jk...teering-system
Old 03-06-2018, 07:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The ruff stuff DIY is a very good tie rod for cheap if you can simply cut a tube and weld two threaded bungs in the tubes. $125 and they run sales every holiday. You can also get the same tie rod fully welded for the JK for $175. It s a good strong link with easy to replace TRE's . I have run this set up for years without issue on my tons and 40's You can also DIY drag link if you want pretty cheap.
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...g/TREOFFK.html
Old 03-06-2018, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I'm not trying to bash the Synergy since they are good. They could just use some minor upgrades out of the box with those white slinky joint boots. It would be disappointing if they're still shipping with those white boots seeing as they now have some upgraded replacement boots available that seem to fix those associated problems.
I replaced TREs on my Synergy towards the end of last year. The new ends shipped with black boots and more of a solid metal clip. Not sure if that is what they are putting on the new TRs nowadays or not though.

The Synergy TR is OK, it's stood up plenty to banging against the rocks, but if I had to do it all over I'd get something much beefier. If I ever get to the point of hydro assist, that sucker will get replaced....again. It's probably fine for MOST out there, but I would suggest not being like me.....replacing the same shit over and over. Just do it right the first time.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I looked at what everyone suggested. I have a question about the Metalcloak kit. Should I be concerned at all about the slightly smaller diameter (0.5") on the Metalcloak tie rod vs the Teraflex? Metalcloak is listed at 1.375" OD and Teraflex at 1.625" OD. The prices are close, but the Metalcloak kit comes with a steering dampener too. The one thing slowing me doen is the slightly smaller diameter of the tube.

Quick Reply: Compare Currie and Teraflex tie rod and drag link