Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Compare Currie and Teraflex tie rod and drag link

Old 03-08-2018, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Most of the more knowledgeable folks on this forum will tell you the JK does not need a Steering Stabilizer if your front suspension and steering is setup and functioning properly. Many with lifts and larger tires are not using a SS. There's some benefits of having a SS, but it's not a necessity by any means. Others will often upgrade their SS to fix some other underlying problem, such as a track bar related problem where they're using the stock TB with large tires, or the track bar bolts are either worn or not torqued properly. Adding the SS to fix those type of problems is mostly viewed as a band-aide fix where the proper fix is to address the real problem.
I have a beefier TB already, it went on the same time as the lift. I thought that I remember reading that the SS wasn't necessary.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by AnvilX14
I thought that I remember reading that the SS wasn't necessary.
Agree with comments above. Most people that might feel like they need a SS don't want to admit they have an issue to address. They think that it's normal to have bump steer, shimmies, or handle like shit cuz hey, "it's a lifted jeep". If you're components are in good shape, you're running a proper caster, you shouldn't even notice it's gone. If you take it off and find yourself feeling some funny reactions......then you have an issue to address. If you're really gonna do a RNR, just skip a new SS for right now and stick the funds in a piggy bank to go towards the RNR later.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The ruff stuff DIY is a very good tie rod for cheap if you can simply cut a tube and weld two threaded bungs in the tubes. $125 and they run sales every holiday. You can also get the same tie rod fully welded for the JK for $175. It s a good strong link with easy to replace TRE's . I have run this set up for years without issue on my tons and 40's You can also DIY drag link if you want pretty cheap.
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...g/TREOFFK.html
Damn, thanks for this! Thats beef and incredibly cheap. 10 minutes with my welder and a

Any idea if the stock JK knuckles will need any reaming? Or no?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I don't think you have to do any reaming since they offer it as a JK specific tie rod.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The ruff stuff DIY is a very good tie rod for cheap if you can simply cut a tube and weld two threaded bungs in the tubes. $125 and they run sales every holiday. You can also get the same tie rod fully welded for the JK for $175. It s a good strong link with easy to replace TRE's . I have run this set up for years without issue on my tons and 40's You can also DIY drag link if you want pretty cheap.
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...g/TREOFFK.html
I've been eyeing the Ruffstuff JK tie rod for a while and have only heard of a few reviews. Nice to see another positive one. I'll definitely have to stop being lazy and order it on their next sale.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting read here, I keep learning more and more about my JK from this forum.

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Any idea if the stock JK knuckles will need any reaming? Or no?
Out of curiosity I was looking over the ruff stuff Q&A for the tie rod and saw this.

Bill on 11-7-2017 Asked: Will the tie rod ends bolt directly, without reaming, into my 2009 Jeep JK steering?

Answered: The Jeep JK tie rod end taper is very similar to the GM 1 ton taper, but is slightly different. You would want to hit your knuckles with a 7 degree/1.5" per foot reamer to be sure they seat up completely. You would ream until the large end of your taper is about 0.749"

Quick Reply: Compare Currie and Teraflex tie rod and drag link