Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to Regear? Are local shops ripping me off?

Old 04-07-2017, 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cost to Regear? Are local shops ripping me off?

So after much consideration I've decided to regear after I put on some 35's. I've been doing my homework and decided that for my 3.6L JKU Rubi I'd want to go from my 3.73's to 4.56's. That seems to be the consensus for the best daily driving ratio.

I've emailed and talked to a couple local shops. One here in town quoted me in his words, "Installed is typically $2300-$2400. That is for a complete overhaul front and rear." Another shop in town who I visited in person quoted me about the same claiming 13 hours of labor at $100 an hour. That was for a swap to Yukon gears.

Reading here and elsewhere online I'm seeing people claiming $1200-1400 is the going rate to have something like this done. Am I just being taken advantage of here? I don't think that at 30,000 my axles should need a "complete overhaul" yet.

What do you guys think? Also, any recommendations for an install shop in the Missouri/Illinois area?
Old 04-07-2017, 04:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah sounds too high. Just negotiate with them. I'm sure if you said I'm not spending more than X they'd work with you.

I paid $1700 front and rear with Yukons at a reputable shop up here in NH and found that price acceptable.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Including cost of parts (gears, install kits, gear oil), you're typically in the $1250 - $1750 range depending on location. Here in the DFW area the going rate is roughly $1500. Those guys seem to be really high, but maybe they have no competition around. Seems like there was someone else in that St. Louis area not long ago getting quoted pretty high on a re-gear job as well.

I would note that when they say "complete overhaul", they're not talking about anything more than typical gear job which is changing all the seals and bearings as well. They're not performing some extraordinary service.....they're just making it sound super special.

Last edited by resharp001; 04-07-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I had a gear swap at axle boy there in ST Louis and it ran right around $1700. That was in 2011 and they supplied everything and it went into rubi axles. They used to run specials every once in a while.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I had a gear swap at axle boy there in ST Louis and it ran right around $1700. That was in 2011 and they supplied everything and it went into rubi axles. They used to run specials every once in a while.
I think that's one of the things that set me off. They used to be tight with a local club here that I was a member off, but I was inactive when I totaled my last JK. I had him do a 4 wheel alignment for me after I had my 2.5" TF Lift and last set of 35's on and they seemed stand up. I'm willing to pay to have someone who knows what they're doing install these as I'd hate to damage the power train because I got cheap and home mechanic-ed them to save a buck. Heck, I'd even be willing to do the labor myself if I had someone with experience helping me, but I'm not going to do this on my own.

I'm just having a hard time understanding how two local shops can be quoting me $1000 more than what others are claiming. We have 3 dedicated off road shops here in town that I know of, possibly more.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Sounds like there's not a whole lot of competition round there, allowing the shops to keep the market price of the job pretty high. I wouldn't claim collusion, but until someone in the area starts doing the job for cheaper, and gaining a following, there's no reason for everyone else to come down on price. It's hard to compare prices across different locations. Paying that much would be a really hard pill to swallow. Also, it shouldn't be a 13-hour job for a shop with a lift......unless they are padding for unexpected complications. Maybe you should look at ordering all the parts yourself and just asking for a quote on labor only. $600 for Yukon gear sets with master install kit at Northridge, and that's retail price....shops are making an extra ~$100 on those parts when quoting your gear job.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
Sounds like there's not a whole lot of competition round there, allowing the shops to keep the market price of the job pretty high. I wouldn't claim collusion, but until someone in the area starts doing the job for cheaper, and gaining a following, there's no reason for everyone else to come down on price. It's hard to compare prices across different locations. Paying that much would be a really hard pill to swallow. Also, it shouldn't be a 13-hour job for a shop with a lift......unless they are padding for unexpected complications. Maybe you should look at ordering all the parts yourself and just asking for a quote on labor only. $600 for Yukon gear sets with master install kit at Northridge, and that's retail price....shops are making an extra ~$100 on those parts when quoting your gear job.
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking too. I've been considering ordering the parts like you said as well as a set of beefier diff covers. Figure if they're pulling it off might as well replace it. Might be worth a weekend trip somewhere if someone can do it cheaper as well.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You should seriously consider doing it yourself. For about $300.00 you can buy a press, an inch pound torque wrench, and a dial indicator set. If you take your time and budget a full day for each axle you will save yourself a thousand bucks toward your next upgrade. Watch a couple of YouTube videos. I've only done it once, and I remember being very intimidated. But it went easier than I thought it would. Now I have the tools so it'll be free the next time.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Skippman
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking too. I've been considering ordering the parts like you said as well as a set of beefier diff covers. Figure if they're pulling it off might as well replace it. Might be worth a weekend trip somewhere if someone can do it cheaper as well.
One thing to keep in mind when considering traveling elsewhere to get the job done……you’re going to have a break in period with those new gears. They need to go through a couple heat cycles. You’re not going to want to re-gear, then jump in the jeep and drive 75mph for a few hours to get home. You’re gonna need to make some short 20-30 mile trips at more modest speeds, let things cool down before continuing. If you put $600 in the parts, even that $1300 guy (13 hrs @ $100/hr) puts you at $1800. Maybe see if you can talk him down $200 or so if you think he’s reliable.

I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just re-geared at Rebel off-road in socal(not local but will give you a reference) i went from 4.88 to 5.38 and cost was 1350.00 including all parts and labor

Quick Reply: Cost to Regear? Are local shops ripping me off?