Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cost to Regear? Are local shops ripping me off?

Old 04-19-2017, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippman
I think I found my solution gang. A local refereed me to a placed called Drive Shafts Unlimited here in STL. Just got off the phone with them. They quoted me $450 to the front, $350 to do the rear and I bring the parts. That sounds like a very fair price from what I've been reading.

PARTS LIST
4.56 Dana 44 Front Ring and Pinion Set
4.56 Dana 44 Rear Ring and Pinion Set
Dana 44 Front Overhaul Kit
Dana 44 Rear Overhaul Kit
Upgraded Front Diff Cover
Upgraded Rear Diff Cover
Lube Locker for Front
Lube Locker for Rear

Am I missing anything I might want/need? I have elockers so I don't need lockers. I'm assuming they'll provide all necessary fluids.
That sounds like a great solution, and a very reasonable labor rate. I'd assume you WOULD provide the gear oil unless told otherwise, but that's not much more cost wise. the overhaul kits should have all the necessary parts you need. The one thing you might be careful of since they might not regear many rubi's, is that they dont jack up the locker plunger in the process of reinstalling the carrier.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Skip the lubelockers and just use some good quality RTV. I will never understand why people run them when RTV is not only cheaper, but also provides a much better seal. With RTV there's no gap between the cover and the diff for a rock to catch onto, and you won't accidentally strip the bolts when you go to torque down the cover (read, you'd be surprised).
Old 04-19-2017, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my gears done in April last year, $1000 OTD, done by the same guys who are doing gears for a lot of shops here in Socal, they're mobile, so they came to my house at 9:00am, and did the whole thing in my driveway, by 11:30am, i was doing the test drive.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by rsmwrangler
I had my gears done in April last year, $1000 OTD, done by the same guys who are doing gears for a lot of shops here in Socal, they're mobile, so they came to my house at 9:00am, and did the whole thing in my driveway, by 11:30am, i was doing the test drive.
They regeared both your axles, in your driveway, in 2.5 hrs?
Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
They regeared both your axles, in your driveway, in 2.5 hrs?
NASCAR just called. They need a new pit crew.

Going with RTV might be a better option. Not sure who's diff covers to go with. Poison Spyder seems to be a good value and sounds like they don't have any of the clearance issues other diff covers have had.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Skippman
Going with RTV might be a better option. Not sure who's diff covers to go with. Poison Spyder seems to be a good value and sounds like they don't have any of the clearance issues other diff covers have had.
I have the PSC bombshell covers. They work fine for me and are economical. I have a buddy that has an AEV jeep. He needs a front cover and is dead set on it having to be a matching $300 AEV cover. LOL. I just shake my head. I use LubeLockers myself, but I like to take the covers off an inspect at every gear oil change rather than just draining and refilling. I get tired of cleaning RTV. I've not experienced any issues like BoraBora highlighted, but use personal judgement.

Quick Reply: Cost to Regear? Are local shops ripping me off?