Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Couple questions about stock rims and lift and tire size.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonak
HI
I have couple questions about tire size. I have 2013 jk sahara putting 3 inch lift and 1 inch body lift on it. It comes with the stock 18 inch rims.
Can I put a 37x12 wheel on that rim or is that to much ? What would be the max tire size for the stock rim ? If I end up having to change rims whats best size rim to go with a 15 16 17 ? It seems like 18x37 cost more than a 15x37.
thank for any input.
Can you put a 12.5" tire on a stock 7.5" wheel?...Yes. Should you?...IMO, No.
I'm all for a poor-man's bead lock, but pushing too narrow will cause the tire to wear very poorly and the tire will not balance well.

I run 4" BS with 37s and still rub my LCAs at full turn and stuff. My next set/combo will be 3.5" BS.

As mentioned earlier, IF you can find a 15/16" wheel to work you will certainly be limited in upgrading steering components. (Which BTW will need to be done)

With 3" of lift on a 13' you will need to run exhaust spacers or get a new front drive shaft (provided the lift comes with longer shocks) so plan for this.

Don't bother with sleeves and only do a truss if you are a competent welder and can do it yourself. I have seen too many axles that are bent from someone welding on the truss. The sleeves do almost nothing to increase the strength of the axle (when it comes to bends)... But by all means add the c-gussets.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for everyones rpelys,,after doing some mroe reading im going to go with 2.5 inch budget boost get new 17 rims ,,,with 2.5 will 37 fit ? Like I siad this will never see off road. So im not concerned about 4 wheeling and having it rub etc.
I als was wondering if theres a thread that compares the 2.5 inch lifts ? The tires and rims are going to run me about 2400.00 SO trying not to spend another 800.00 on a 2.5 lift unless its totally needed.
thank you again

Quick Reply: Couple questions about stock rims and lift and tire size.