Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craigslist AEV Bumper without mounting hardware?

Old 09-17-2015, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!!!! Gotta love it when things go your way.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pohlease
What a killer deal!!!
I thought so too. Glad I got it. I think the my old light bar take something away from it though.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Glad it worked out.

Was telling my coworker about your craigslist find and how we might need to help you get some brackets. He said I should have come down to Canton and bought it out from underneath you.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kylelever
Glad it worked out.

Was telling my coworker about your craigslist find and how we might need to help you get some brackets. He said I should have come down to Canton and bought it out from underneath you.
I wouldn't have blamed you.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by riddoch
I wouldn't have blamed you.
Not how I role! Plus if I can fab something for the front like I did on my rear, I can have something for around $20.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I just found a similar situation where someone removed and is selling their COD Moab AEV front bumper. I'm uncertain at this time what additional hardware is included.

I was wondering if there was any additional information in regards to if the AEV bumper you got, if it came with the Fairlead bracket or if you were able to mount the AEV bumper to the stock Fairlead bracket? It was mentioned that the Closeout bracket and Tow Loop was not included and was still able to install, so that's good to know.

How did the Winch mounting go? I'm wondering if you had to purchase the AEV Winch plate or if you were able to purchase some other winch plate instead?

For reference, here's the AEV parts list from the install manual.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I just found a similar situation where someone removed and is selling their COD Moab AEV front bumper. I'm uncertain at this time what additional hardware is included.

I was wondering if there was any additional information in regards to if the AEV bumper you got, if it came with the Fairlead bracket or if you were able to mount the AEV bumper to the stock Fairlead bracket? It was mentioned that the Closeout bracket and Tow Loop was not included and was still able to install, so that's good to know.

How did the Winch mounting go? I'm wondering if you had to purchase the AEV Winch plate or if you were able to purchase some other winch plate instead?

For reference, here's the AEV parts list from the install manual.
What stock fairlead bracket? The COD/MOAB bumpers didn't come with the fairlead bracket, so you should be able to mount it without.
But if you wanna add a winch you'll need the winch plate and the fairlead bracket. BTW Doesn't look like OP installed a winch on his bumper.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crusaderJK
What stock fairlead bracket? The COD/MOAB bumpers didn't come with the fairlead bracket, so you should be able to mount it without.
But if you wanna add a winch you'll need the winch plate and the fairlead bracket. BTW Doesn't look like OP installed a winch on his bumper.
Thanks, I just figured this out when shopping around more. I assumed the fairlead bracket came with the AEV bumper kit, since it was shown in the install instructions. However, after a visit to the AEV website I learned the Fairlead was part of the Winch mount plate kit. So it seems like, I should get the AEV winch mount kit in addition to the bumper and I should be good to go for installing this bumper and my winch.

So check this out. Thanks to this thread, I was originally shopping around for a bumper and decided I really liked the AEV bumpers. Then I went to the AEV website and got sticker shocked at the $1300 price tag and based on this thread decided to do some Craigslist shopping instead. As luck would seem to have it, I found someone in my area selling an AEV COD/MOAB 2013 MW3 take off bumper with the same situation, no mounting hardware. They also had some Mopar rock rails for sale as well.

I just got back from picking the stuff up. It seems the guy is a dealership body shop manager and the owner lets him have the old dealer demo vehicle take off parts and insurance repair body work parts.

Here's the awesome deal I got.

AEV MOAB front bumper: $250

Mopar Rock Rails: $100

I'm feeling thrilled right about now, scoring over $1600 worth of parts which are in great conditiion for $350.

I told him to keep me on speed dial to let me know if he ever gets any AEV rear bumpers or Mopar lift take offs.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-23-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Thanks, I just figured this out when shopping around more. I assumed the fairlead bracket came with the AEV bumper kit, since it was shown in the install instructions. However, after a visit to the AEV website I learned the Fairlead was part of the Winch mount plate kit. So it seems like, I should get the AEV winch mount kit in addition to the bumper and I should be good to go for installing this bumper and my winch.

So check this out. Thanks to this thread, I was originally shopping around for a bumper and decided I really liked the AEV bumpers. Then I went to the AEV website and got sticker shocked at the $1300 price tag and based on this thread decided to do some Craigslist shopping instead. As luck would seem to have it, I found someone in my area selling an AEV COD/MOAB 2013 MW3 take off bumper with the same situation, no mounting hardware. They also had some Mopar rock rails for sale as well.

I just got back from picking the stuff up. It seems the guy is a dealership body shop manager and the owner lets him have the old dealer demo vehicle take off parts and insurance repair body work parts.

Here's the awesome deal I got.

AEV MOAB front bumper: $250

Mopar Rock Rails: $100

I'm feeling thrilled right about now, scoring over $1600 worth of parts which are in great conditiion for $350.

I told him to keep me on speed dial to let me know if he ever gets any AEV rear bumpers or Mopar lift take offs.

Just a recommendation for that bumper. I bought one several years ago and I love it. However, it is rusting from the inside out after 3 years. The seam across the top that goes from one end to the other holds a lot of water. If I had it to do again, I would still use the same bumper, but I would load the inside of it up with undercoat/paint to put a good seal on that seam before installing it. Maybe take it to your local Ziebart dealer and get them to spray it before you install.

Good Luck.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
Just a recommendation for that bumper. I bought one several years ago and I love it. However, it is rusting from the inside out after 3 years. The seam across the top that goes from one end to the other holds a lot of water. If I had it to do again, I would still use the same bumper, but I would load the inside of it up with undercoat/paint to put a good seal on that seam before installing it. Maybe take it to your local Ziebart dealer and get them to spray it before you install.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the tip. I was looking at that on the one I picked up and noticed that top seam had some rust on a small portion of it, so it must be a common problem like you indicated. There's a couple small scratches as well which are no big deal. Since I saved quite a bit of money, and I'm waiting to get the winch mount as well, I might take an extra step and take it into a paint shop, put some filler in that seem, get the bumper repainted and undercoat it while I'm at it.

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-25-2015 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Craigslist AEV Bumper without mounting hardware?