Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Curious about rockrails... and clearance

Old 06-23-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I run 35 MTZs and a rustys 3.25 lift and they did rub at full flex and I also had to trim the pinch seam. I cut 2 inches off the rail and reinstalled the end cap. A chop saw works great for the rails and I used a mini air saw for the pinch seam ... a little paint and sillicone and done.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MaloCS
The only accurate way to gauge if your tires will rub is to stuff a tire and see. If they rub then you will need to trim the rails, if they don't rub then nothing needs to be done. It's pretty simple.
Agreed! Keep in mind if your rails rub, you might need to trim the pinch seam too. I've heard of the pinch seam gouging into the tire. Probably won't cause a flat, but it will take chunks from the tire.

I trimmed mine back to make sure everything cleared. Hard to see in the picture because I painted the cut area black.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20081206_JEEP JK_Rock_Rails_3.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	25925
Old 06-23-2009, 04:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NH4X4
I run 35 MTZs and a rustys 3.25 lift and they did rub at full flex and I also had to trim the pinch seam. I cut 2 inches off the rail and reinstalled the end cap. A chop saw works great for the rails and I used a mini air saw for the pinch seam ... a little paint and sillicone and done.
If they rub at full flex then physics would say that they would rub when not flexed.....when your rear suspension flexes the geometry would cause the arms to pull the tire back and away from the the pinch seam and rockrail. So they had to be rubbing at all times if they rubbed when stuffed....Would this not be the case?
Old 06-23-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mine didnt rub driving down the road but start twisting and they rub prety good...you will hear it and feel it

Quick Reply: Curious about rockrails... and clearance