Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did My Shocks Fail ??

Old 02-05-2018, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Did My Shocks Fail ??

So I've got a 2011 JKU Rubicon with about 37k miles. It's got a dealer installed 3.5" Mopar lift, no other mods. My off road use is pretty mild compared to others (no rock crawling, etc.). About 2 weeks ago I noticed the front end bounce a bit more than I recall seeing in the past when I hit a couple of rough spots on a paved road. Then, yesterday I was on a 30 mile trip on a dirt road, some of which is really rough and quite vertical. It was then I realized without a doubt the front end was bouncing like a broken baby buggy.

There's been nothing unusually rough done with the Jeep, ever. Given the obvious "bounce", I would think it would point to broken shocks up front, does that seem right? If so, I wonder what the heck happened all of a sudden to make them fail? Lastly, I had noticed a slight squeaking on occasion when driving over dirt or rough roads over the past six months, for which I never checked out. Could this have been a clue?

I know I'll need to pull them to be sure, but I don't see anything obviously "broke" or disconnected underneath (I had thought maybe the anti-sway bar was disconnected at first but that doesn't seem to be the case).
Old 02-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check tire pressure. As we're dealing with the same type of issue with a Non-lifted 017. How often has the tires been rotated?. Have you included the spare within this rotation?. Squeaking could be a sign that something within the suspension could have come lose. often this could me a bushing has worn out, and if the squeaking is more metal sounding, one would have to locate the impact point or an area where something is rubbing against the frame etc.

If the squeaking sounds and feels more like squishy.. could be a poly spacer etc has worn our. If flexing (doesn't have to be extreme) something could have turned or rotated from it's original position. This just means a retaining component could have been moved, removed broken or never been installed.

I hate to say it and you may get other views on this, but it's been said that most or normal coils tend to sag over their lifespan. because of this, things shift and move out of alignment. Lower rear end or an unsettled coil or spacer can create a lose point elsewhere on the jeep. Undue stress with worn out components, incorrect linkage etc can also cause this. One must create a detailed check list in order to rule out the obvious.

True the shocks could fail way before their expected lift span. as they should be exchanged at or about the 50K mark. Look for any fluid or shock damage as this would be a clear sign one or more shocks have failed. has this surpassed the warranty?. Has the system been installed by a authorized retailer/shop. All things to consider for sure.

Edit:

Check to see if the shocks have a dial setting that allows you to adjust the softness/stiffness as one or more of these could be on a different setting.

Last edited by TrailBadger; 02-06-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Are the shocks leaking any fluid? That's really the only tell tale sign. X2 on checking your tire pressure. Squeaking is normal, mine started squeaking when the front control arm joints blew out...but it could also be the sway bar bushings or the joints on the links. Hit it the sway bar bushings with WD40 and go for a drive, if the squeaking is gone...there's your culprit.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

What shocks do you have? Running the FOX resi's that often come with the MOPAR kits? 37k miles sure doesn't seem like a realistic time for those to blow if so. Based on your description of use, doesn't sound like your offroading adventures are very extreme.....so I'm not thinking your maxing out articulation with inadequate bumpstops, therefore completely compressing your shocks......but your description does sound a lot like a bad shock to me. there's not a whole lot that is going to make your front end bounce "like a baby buggy". If the shock is bad, and the coil isn't getting the necessary help....you'd definitely experience more boing boing boing.

I see no details in your profile. Take a moment to update if you can as some users will reference that looking for specifics. I was looking to see what size tires you were running in relation to the lift and bumps.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:08 AM
Former Member

resharp001

Is 37k miles a realistic failure mileage for a fox shock?. or any shock for that matter. or am I misunderstanding your comment sir. I guess because I've never actually had a shock fail on any of our vehicles before. May have made some wrong decisions.. but never failed.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by TrailBadger
resharp001

Is 37k miles a realistic failure mileage for a fox shock?. or any shock for that matter. or am I misunderstanding your comment sir.
I said it DOESN'T seem like a realistic failure mileage.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:11 AM
Former Member

k need me eyes checked..
Old 02-06-2018, 10:20 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

As mentioned above, look for leaks and broken stuff. An old quick and dirty shock test is to push down hard, watch the rebound, and compare sides. The more it acts like Jello bouncing, the worse they are. The heavier you are, the better the test...

To me, rock crawling isn't hard on shocks. Long washboard roads can really heat them up, which is probably the kind of hard use that one can have and not realize it.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mr.T
To me, rock crawling isn't hard on shocks. Long washboard roads can really heat them up, which is probably the kind of hard use that one can have and not realize it.
That is a very good point.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Pardon the lack of details in my profile and thanks for the replies. I'm running Duratrac 35's with 28 PSI (same as always before the bouncing began). I looked again for broken stuff and/or anything leaking from the shocks and couldn't find anything unusual. I'd probably have to pull a shock to know for sure who made them, they're simply labeled "MOPAR".

I'll try that test a little later tonight and see what happens. As well I'll hit it the sway bar bushings with WD40 and go for a drive.

I really appreciate the help, I'll report back whatever I find.

Quick Reply: Did My Shocks Fail ??