Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did My Shocks Fail ??

Old 02-07-2018, 09:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks again Mr. T, you have a great eye for things.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Looks to me like what happened is that the top washers were not installed -- Which look similar to the ones on the bottom, and "sandwich" the rubber bushings. Without the force distributed over the washer it wore/sheared the upper rubber bushing.
Was revisiting this again this morning and was going to say the same thing.....whoever installed this did not use the top washers. If they had, they'd at least have prevented the shocks from completely falling down through the hole. That is just negligence on the installer's part. It's crazy to think a dealer, or really anyone that has any sense at all, would install that shock without the upper washer. Not much to do about it now cept to move forward, but still.

Best of luck to you.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
Rancho (02-08-2018), ShawnInPaso (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks resharp. The more I think about it, the more it annoys me. Guess it could be much worse. I actually looked at the words in the warranty (below) and of course there's nothing that can be done there.

//////////////////////////////////////////////
MOPAR LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY ON VALUE LINE BRAKE PADS/SHOES, VALUE LINE SHOCKS/STRUTS AND VALUE LINE MUFFLERS INSTALLED ON VEHICLES OR SOLD OVER-THE-COUNTER FOR DO-IT-YOURSELF INSTALLATION PRIOR TO OCTOBER 1, 2014: Dealer Installed: The above Mopar products were warranted against normal wear and defects for 12 months/12,000 miles for both parts and labor. Beyond 12 months/12,000 miles, your FCA US LLC dealer will replace the worn or defective product for as long as the customer owns the vehicle on which the products were originally installed and is, therefore, not transferable to a subsequent owner of the vehicle. This warranty does not cover labor charges or applicable taxes. Over-the-Counter or Wholesale: The above Mopar Parts sold over-the-counter or wholesale are warranted against defects in workmanship or materials for 12 months/unlimited miles for parts (exchange) only.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:59 PM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shame this happen, The install could have happen as a last min thing, on a Fri, lazy installers, who knows. But this why it's important to do a flight check before leaving the lot. Never trust what you see that looks "installed" or "completed". There always going to be parts left over.

Even though this was done back (when ever), the dealer knows the loopholes and often takes advantage of them. I would still post up the dealership who did this install.
The following users liked this post:
ShawnInPaso (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, just to put the wraps on the thread, I finally replaced my front shocks today.

As simple as a job it should be, I always learn about not having the right tools for the job, making this effort a pain in the arse.
Also, I now see why the dealer/installer of the Mopar shocks took shortcuts. There is very little to no room to put the top bushing and nut on the shocks (at least in my rig). Consequently, I had to place the upper end of the shock first into the hole, place the bushing, etc., then force the shock to compress and place it into the lower position......some twisted yoga tricks to do so.

To aide in my dismay, while putting on the right side upper bushing it slipped and fell into the bushing bunghole of death. It took me a while to fetch it out of there. Ended up using the old toothbrush trick as the brush was just a little wider than the inside diameter of the bushing so it would "catch" and allow me to pull it out.

The old toothbrush trick

Bushing falls into the bunghole of death

The old crappy shocks

WTF?
Old 02-15-2018, 08:19 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
<snip> ...while putting on the right side upper bushing it slipped and fell into the bushing bunghole of death. It took me a while to fetch it out of there. Ended up using the old toothbrush trick as the brush was just a little wider than the inside diameter of the bushing </snip>
"Bushing bunghole of death" -- That's some mighty fine phraseology! And the "old toothbrush trick", second time I've fallen for that this month!

ShawnInPaso (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 06:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso

The old crappy shocks
LOL, these suckers dead......wonder how long they've been dead before the rubber bushings at the top disintegrated? Have to imagine your ride now is night and day difference. Well, at least you know for certain that top washer is in place now! There's something to be said for installing your own stuff.
ShawnInPaso (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

You are exactly right resharp ! Only had 5 minutes for a quickie test drive yesterday, and what a huge difference. I can't wait to get out later today for a longer drive. I will most likely change out the rear shocks in the forthcoming weeks.

Quick Reply: Did My Shocks Fail ??