Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

diff cover question...

Old 12-11-2008, 11:14 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by northridge4x4
I am sorry but if you buy a diff cover based on these two things .......

I have some special magnets to sell you to get better gas mileage.

David
Originally Posted by Ogie
....if it wasn't for the fact I have inside info that Santa is bringing me a pair of Riddlers (bought from Northridge with a TF lift kit - so be nice to me ), I would be all over this deal, too.
okay, now that was pretty funny

Last edited by wayoflife; 12-11-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To each his own. I didn't want to imply that the two examples were the word of God, but I did think they were interesting nonetheless. I do stand by my belief that Riddlers are superior, though.

I didn't come here to rain on anybody's parade about the Solid covers. They're good, and if it wasn't for the fact I have inside info that Santa is bringing me a pair of Riddlers (bought from Northridge with a TF lift kit - so be nice to me ), I would be all over this deal, too.

I am always nice Thank-you for your business.

I agree that riddlers are great covers! Very strong.

The point I was making is that shooting diff covers means nothing in the real world. Its fun to see what caliber bullet they will stop but that is about it.

I know because after that article was done we took a bunch of diff covers to the range on shot them and it was a blast!

.223 went through every single one we had! such a small bullet at such high speed. I doubt you will ever find that condition on the trail.

And the excavator is funny. Solid is actually the first one to ever do that. They had it on there website for a while, proves nothing. But it is cool to see.

David
Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But the riddlers are UGLY! Who wants some batman villain takeoff name and logo?

If they were 65 shippedinstead of Solid, I would've bought them.

I was curious how the ARB would've done in the bullet test. I had wanted them, but at $165 each, I lost interest about 2 seconds after I saw the solid sale.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:04 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ogie
Evidently, you've never seen Eddie drive.
who me
Old 12-12-2008, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Diff Oil

I went to the dealer because of a very small leak. The dealer recommended also getting an aftermarket cover, and changing to that while doing the repair. Their reasonong was that the diff oil is VERY expensive, and not reusable, and that I wouldn't want to spend the ~$100 twice (1st time to fix the leak, & 2nd to replace the cover).
The question is, what is sooo special about diff oil to cost ~$100?
(I have a Rubicon if that makes a difference).
Old 12-12-2008, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeeperDude
I went to the dealer because of a very small leak. The dealer recommended also getting an aftermarket cover, and changing to that while doing the repair. Their reasonong was that the diff oil is VERY expensive, and not reusable, and that I wouldn't want to spend the ~$100 twice (1st time to fix the leak, & 2nd to replace the cover).
The question is, what is sooo special about diff oil to cost ~$100?
(I have a Rubicon if that makes a difference).
Well I changed my diff fluid myself and used Royal Purple one of the best and most expensive brands at the store. It only costed me about $65-70. Not cheap but not $100.

Does your $100 include the dealer's time and effort or is that strickly the cost of the oil they use? I would guess they are using a cheap brand.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
the fact of the matter is, anything is better than stock and even at that, stock really isn't all that bad.
You had me until the last part of the sentence. I've seen a few stock diff covers pealed back on rocks - including my own. Any upgrade cover is better than stock (IMO) because most of the upgrades have a thicker edge along the bottom. The only "upgrade" I'd shy away from are chrome and aluminum ones. SOME chrome ones are beefy, but some I've seen are no better than stock. Aluminum probably couldn't take a hit as good as any of the ductile iron or welded steel ones can.

2 cents.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dealer said that was ONLY the oil. Labor in addition to.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your dealer is ripping you off, do it yourself and use the money you save for more diff covers!!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
Your dealer is ripping you off, do it yourself and use the money you save for more diff covers!!
x2 Use the following write up and do it yourself:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...hange-write-up

It is pretty simple. I have no mechanical experience and it was one of the first things I learned.

Quick Reply: diff cover question...