Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Differential cover replacments?

Old 03-12-2016, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Differential cover replacments?

Well, my JKU has over 100K miles on it and it seems every other week something needs to be replaced/repaired. Currently busy replacing O2 sensors this weekend.

Next fix...differential covers. I noticed both my front and rear differentials are leaking and if I'm going to repair might as well go with a heavy duty cover.

Any recommendations based on experience of which ones to get? I typically like to go with Mopar replacement parts for a more OEM look and fit but over $200/cover seems a bit high in price then I would like to spend.

Been considering these available options as well.
1. Outlaw - like the look, Jeep logo, seem durable, Price $125ea seems ok.
2. Teraflex- I like the price $100 ea. I hate the TF logo. (sorry TF, I don't like turning my JK into a advertising billboard other than promoting the "Jeep" brand, although I understand some do like to show off their mods.)
3. Poison Spyder- Similar as TF, like the price $100 ea., hate their logo.

My biggest concern is with fit. I read you need to be careful with differential cover replacements since they can interfere with the steering linkage, where more work is needed to fix that problem. I'm hoping to avoid having to do any more work than what is needed to replace the front and rear covers.

Would like to hear others experience pros/cons when replacing their diffy covers with a heavy duty brand.

2009 JKU Sahara stock
- Dana 30 front
- Dana 44 rear

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-12-2016 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with Blue Torch Fabworks for my front D30. No issues.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the PS ones a couple of months ago, love them so much I painted the spyder white
No issues with hitting anything, I have stock rear track bar and Synergy adj tb in the front.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plan on leaving the jeep stock then I would stick with stock covers. Why waste the money on something you will never use? Plus the added headache of making dip sticks to insure you have proper fluid levels. That being said I love my PS covers.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

had riddlers and the front one wanted to pick a fight with my track bar so had to get rid of them. went to the teraflex ones and have had no problems.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK
If you plan on leaving the jeep stock then I would stick with stock covers. Why waste the money on something you will never use? Plus the added headache of making dip sticks to insure you have proper fluid levels. That being said I love my PS covers.
The plan is to not keep the JK stock. I will likely be keeping this thing until it's time to bury it. I'm going to put an AEV 2.5" lift on it eventually, probably put a Dana 44 in the front at some point as well. My mod plan is that as things need to be replaced, I might as well upgrade for off-road purposes while I'm at it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-12-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
had riddlers and the front one wanted to pick a fight with my track bar so had to get rid of them. went to the teraflex ones and have had no problems.
Thanks for the head's up on the riddlers. That's exactly the situation I'm trying to avoid.

I'm currently leaning towards the TF's since while shopping around, they've been making my life easier since front/rear kits seem to be easy to find and will cost less than $200 for both kits. I'm probably being too picky, but will likely pull out a can of spray paint to get rid of thir RED TF logo.

I'm also thinking about spending a little more and going with the Mopars. I found if I shopped around a little more the Mopars could be found at a decent price.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-12-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solid has pretty competitive pricing for their covers
Old 03-12-2016, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
Solid has pretty competitive pricing for their covers
I was looking at Solid as well. They look pretty beefy. I was just concerned with how beefy they look, if I might have to start worrying about any TB interference problems.

It's hard to judge by looking at pictures, if there is a concern or not.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-12-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I was looking at Solid as well. They look pretty beefy. I was just concerned with how beefy they look, if I might have to start worrying about any TB interference problems. It's hard to judge by looking at pictures, if there is a concern or not.
I had Solid front and back ... Only in the back now because I have a PR44 set up in the front now. Good cover doesn't and didn't interfere with anything ... Only thing is I had to make a dip stick to properly measure fluid levels.... No biggie but I wish they had an overflow hole when you reached the proper level

Quick Reply: Differential cover replacments?