Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilemma with AEV Savegre's, need some opinions

Old 06-13-2014, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma with AEV Savegre's, need some opinions

We are started the build last evening on my Rubi and I have run into an issue. Its mostly my fault I guess, I tried to think through everything on the front end but missed this one in the end. I really didn't miss it, but saw so much back and forth on the subject on different forums that I asked David at Northridge when I ordered and he said it they would work but it looks like it wont work now. I probably should have pressed the issue more at the time with Northridge and Metalcloak and AEV all three to get a consensus. I am Installing the Metalcloak gamechanger ARB kit with extra 1inch spacers on top for the stock fender clearance. Also going to install Synergy drag link flip, tie rod, Reid Knuckles, new HD ball joints, and fox ats stabilizer. Have AEV Savegre's to put on along with 37" MTR's. Just talked with metalcloak and this isn't going to work due to the lack of backspacing 5.2 of the Savegre's. I really would like to avoid wheel spacers. I would just rather not bring another component into the equation due to maintenance and possible future problems. I love the look of the Savegre's and would like to keep them for that reason but I am just unsure whether I want to use spacers or not. I guess I would be open to it but want to hear opinions. So I am torn between keeping them and utilizing spacers or returning them and going with an alternate wheel with better backspacing. When I chose the Savegre's it was narrowed down to my last choices of them along with the ATX Artillery, the Liquid Metal Gatlins, and the procomp 7089. What would you guys do from an aesthetic preference vs. safety/maintenance standpoint with these choices. I truly would like to hear what opinions you all have and your thoughts on what to do as I am torn and have to decide quickly now.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Well personally I would never run a spacer, especially with 37s and you will be probably rock crawling.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the plain look of the 7089 (I run 7069), but it's your rig. What do you want it to look like?
Old 06-13-2014, 10:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the full gamechanger with 3/4" spacers on mine with pintler beadlocks. I had to run wheel spacers. Didn't bother me. I run 7069 as well on my new jeep but I don't have an issue running the wheel spacers with 37" and crawling.

sent from my work leash
Old 06-13-2014, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scubaskier
We are started the build last evening on my Rubi and I have run into an issue. Its mostly my fault I guess, I tried to think through everything on the front end but missed this one in the end. I really didn't miss it, but saw so much back and forth on the subject on different forums that I asked David at Northridge when I ordered and he said it they would work but it looks like it wont work now. I probably should have pressed the issue more at the time with Northridge and Metalcloak and AEV all three to get a consensus. I am Installing the Metalcloak gamechanger ARB kit with extra 1inch spacers on top for the stock fender clearance. Also going to install Synergy drag link flip, tie rod, Reid Knuckles, new HD ball joints, and fox ats stabilizer. Have AEV Savegre's to put on along with 37" MTR's. Just talked with metalcloak and this isn't going to work due to the lack of backspacing 5.2 of the Savegre's. I really would like to avoid wheel spacers. I would just rather not bring another component into the equation due to maintenance and possible future problems. I love the look of the Savegre's and would like to keep them for that reason but I am just unsure whether I want to use spacers or not. I guess I would be open to it but want to hear opinions. So I am torn between keeping them and utilizing spacers or returning them and going with an alternate wheel with better backspacing. When I chose the Savegre's it was narrowed down to my last choices of them along with the ATX Artillery, the Liquid Metal Gatlins, and the procomp 7089. What would you guys do from an aesthetic preference vs. safety/maintenance standpoint with these choices. I truly would like to hear what opinions you all have and your thoughts on what to do as I am torn and have to decide quickly now.
Run the spacers. Torque them down. Don't stress.

I have Procomps with 4.5 and I run spacers.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree that spacers are fine so long as you follow proper maintenance. That said, if your wheels are new and you really don't want spacers, you could probably sell them and not lose much money. I'd be willing to bet that if you bought them from NR4x4, they'd work with you on an exchange for wheels that would work (you'd probably just have to pay to ship those back). If you plan to hit the trails hard, flex it out, and run as little bump stop as possible, I'd recommend under 4" of backspace. ATX Slabs are nice with 3.5". Pretty sure you need 4" or less if you don't want to rub a control arm as well (at least that is what MetalCloak says in their instructions).
Old 06-14-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Have you actually test fit to see if it's an issue? It's my understanding the AEV's are 4.5" back spacing. My research showed the 5.2" comes from measuring the lip of the wheel versus the where the tire mounts (or something similar).
Old 06-14-2014, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

I have the ATX 16s and the pictures don't do them justice. The Teflon is a nice look and they are a really high quality wheel.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

I just realized you had the granite paint... You should def return and go with the ATX Teflon. They are more of a gunmetal grey than black and they'd look sick with your paint. Check out them out on my profle pic with 35 KM2.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just my 2 cents

I am with a lot of these guys. I won't run spacers and 37s due to personal experience although a lot of people do with no issues. I have a 2013 rubicon unlimited and ran method nv wheels and they were great wheels but held mud like crazy. I switched back to savegre like on my 2007 and love them. I am running 37 Nitto trail grapplers with rock krawler 3.5 max travel kit. I added two stainless 3/8 lock washers on my steering stops and lost very minimal steering and absolutely no rubbing. When I tell you I tested it I did full lock and compression of spring. Like I said many have their own opinions as I do but from the responses this may help you more since you already have the wheels. Mine is also a daily driver.

Last edited by ExpoJK; 06-14-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Dilemma with AEV Savegre's, need some opinions