Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I even need spacers?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I even need spacers?

Hey all... Thanks for your patience and advice... I've got a 2011 JKU Sport that I'll be using for short trips to town and for navigating pot hole filled roads... ahh spring! But next to no off-roading (honesty is the best policy). I'm looking to add some wheels & tires for looks. Specifically:

Procomp 17's 7069-7973 w/
Procomp MT2's 33's

I read Dirtman's thoughts on lifts - which was very insightful & that has me thinking that even a 2.5" lift is something I could/should add down the line - if/when I get more aggressive with my use...

So the question becomes - running on a stock suspension - do I even need to put in a spacer kit to fit those tires on my Jeep? Or could I get away with a little bit of trimming to the fenders (and this pinch seam i hear so much about)?

Every shop I talk to wants to sell me $1000 worth of parts and install before i drop another chunk of cash on wheels and tires.

Brand new to this stuff - so I appreciate the help and advice.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

With 33's you rally don't need to lift at all, maybe some trimming, but if you're not really going offroad, you "may" get away with not trimming. You could definitely get away with a leveling kit. The Teraflex spacer kit is only $136 and is pretty easy to install.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go with skinny 33's all you have to do is adjust the steer stops. I ran 275x70x18 for over a year, then later added wheel spacers prepping for a 2.5" lift.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran 33's with no lift for a while. my rims had 4.5" of B.S. and the only thing I rubbed was the air dam while in reverse under throttle. I put on a 2" spacer lift and stilled rubbed almost as much. A small trim with a razor knife fixed that.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default Sounds like a plan.

Thanks guys -

I think I will give it a whirl... Drive with them for a while and see if I need to trim. If that doesn't fo it I can always grab a spacer kit and pop them on. One slight follow-up question. I was looking at the MT2 305/65R17's or the 285/70/R17... Are we thinking the 305's would be too wide? or is it 6 to one - half dozen the other?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wpmvii
Thanks guys -

I think I will give it a whirl... Drive with them for a while and see if I need to trim. If that doesn't fo it I can always grab a spacer kit and pop them on. One slight follow-up question. I was looking at the MT2 305/65R17's or the 285/70/R17... Are we thinking the 305's would be too wide? or is it 6 to one - half dozen the other?
First off, Welcome. Just be careful, in PA you can't stick out past the fender flares for inspection. I am really close to sticking out with my 285/75/17 but that's because of the back spacing on the wheels I bought (wish I could remember what it was).

Quick Reply: Do I even need spacers?