Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I expect too much

Old 09-12-2013, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1! If I pay for new, I expect new, if I wanted pre-dinged and scratched, I'd buy used! Quality seems to be lacking in all industries, I sure hope we aren't headed back to the early 80's!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

I understand your pain and hear where you come from. As others have said if you are buying new you expect new. I personally have not dealt with any of those companies except for OrFab and there quality was top notch and anyone who has bought from them knows that they package there items to handle any shipping mishaps.
I don't think you are expecting to much. My only question, were your items all ordered raw? After reading your post it sounded like you powdered all your items. Was this to fix them or did you order them unfinished? If you ordered them unfinished that could be the issue, some items can be purchased cheaper if ordered unfinished and they figure you are doing that part. May just be a miscommunication between the buyer and seller.

Good luck, my feeling is if you aren't happy with the product let them know. As was stated there could be a quality control issue do to product demand and the manufacturer needs to know it will be an issue.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

well I went to visit poison spyder in Cali and I was amazed the amount of production they got, looks like they are selling hot cakes everything look good the bad thing they dont work on customers rigs :( . I found ROCKHARD 4x4 to be a very good quality and finish, and their customer services is top notch. in case you are looking for something else. regarding the way some people answer.. if you buy something new.. you expected new and clear of scratches or damages or blemishes.. because is new.. yes he will tear them apart.. but thats his choice.. and his doing.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

I feel you. I ordered a JCR bumper and skid plate. But, to be honest, I knew I was getting myself into a project. Their site says they ship bare metal partly because they don't want to be responsible for surface marks and scratches which will occur during shipping. At least...I think I remember reading that. Mine arrived with no burrs, but I sanded it anyway, primed it and used duplicolor bedliner with Kevlar and it looks awesome. That said...there were no instructions included. I figured it out eventually THEN thought to look online. (duh) And, there they were...right there on their site. I just wish they'd communicated that in the packing maybe. The only weird thing that happened was I had a part leftover. After reading the instructions I realized it was a guide to be bolted to the frame to make pushing the bumper on easier. Woulda been nice to know before I started! Oh well, it looks great and I learned some stuff along the way.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Everything I ordered was RAW because this is the only thing they offered. So I new a head of time there would be the expense of Powder Coating. Even given there RAW state I expected no blemishes of any kind, what so ever. After dealing with two different RAW products, both from the high end and from the middle ground, there is no difference in the amount of clean up and prep you need todo. They only way I see this improving is with better quality control. I do however understand there is a demand for these products, as there should be. What many would have considered cheap as far as cost Or-Fab, I was impressed with. One thing I will add is Or-fab is not reinforced or gusseted in any way. Where JCR and PS are, so I can justify a cost difference there but that is about it unless you count the stacking dimes welds. Again I am happy with my setup, just fruit for thought for individuals thinking about certain products. I try to be fair and honest about my expectations and reviews. I am a person that expects someone to call when they say they will, to deliver on a promised product and date. Who also thinks if you say your stuff is the shit it better be. But we are all human and people do make mistakes, so there is always that second or even third chance to make it right.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ptarnuzzer
+1! If I pay for new, I expect new, if I wanted pre-dinged and scratched, I'd buy used! Quality seems to be lacking in all industries, I sure hope we aren't headed back to the early 80's!
I agree!... If I wanted something with scratches and stuff, it better be at a discounted prices...
Old 09-12-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only speak to the JCR stuff. I ordered a front stubby bumper and skid plate. Although I am very happy I had a very similar experience. The welds were great. After sand blasting it I had a couple small pin holes but I was able to fix them up pretty good and unless you knew where to look you'd never see anything. However the install was kinda of a project. Of course it came with no instructions but it was not difficult to figure it out. I am sure it wouldn't be hard to include a basic setup with their stuff however. If you do some searching you may find someone that did an install write up. The most irritating thing was that pretty much none of the mounting holes lined up. Had to enlarge pretty much all of them with the exception of one or two and I am talking more then a couple mm's on a few. Same with the skid plate (which was designed for the bumper) nothing lined up and had to enlarge the holes again. Also the skid came with no hardware what so ever so spent time trying to hunt down just the right bolts. All in all I am happy with the JCR product and wouldn't hesitate to order again and probably will get their rear. Just be prepared to do some work.

Last edited by SpicedCrusher; 09-12-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Mines 99.5% mall crawler (no shame in my game) so when l purchase expensive things from these 'high end' companies I expect perfection, or close to it. If I wanted mediocre craftsmanship I would order from a guy in the forum building bumpers, rock guards, etc.

Last edited by amick218; 09-12-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

My brother has had multiple issues with all of his JCR products.

First, his front bumper bull bar was bent, sent pictures to JCR and they said is was acceptable and within tolerance. It was at least 1.5" different front side to side, obviously they don't have a quality control department.

Second was his rear bumper with tire carrier. The aluminum hinge cap wouldn't fit the steel threads, sent pictures to JCR, they said it was impossible. The steel pipe warped when they welded it to the bumper. The customer is never right in their eyes though...

Third the warped tire carrier hinge was misaligned and would hit the lower tailgate hinge when fully opened causing the plastic cover to come off. Eventually the plastic cracked and fell off.

Forth, after one winter (garage kept) and only 3,000 miles the hinge locking device seized up. It is now useless and he has to hold the gate open with a bungee cord.

JCR = garbage

I personally installed a PSC RockBrawler on my Jeep and had no problems at all. Fit tight like a glove and every hole lined up perfectly. Just like my AEV Premium bumper.

Last edited by Tripletsi; 09-12-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amick218
If I wanted mediocre craftsmanship I would order from a guy in the forum building bumpers, rock guards, etc.
Lol that's a great way to make friends...

Quick Reply: Do I expect too much