Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I expect too much

Old 09-12-2013, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kh202

Lol that's a great way to make friends...
Lol, it wasn't aimed at anyone, just a generalization. For all I know those guys don't even exist on this forum. On my f150 forum we have a few guys that build. I would expect problems the OP had with a forum purchase and be satisfied, not from Poison Spyder...
Old 09-12-2013, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amick218

Lol, it wasn't aimed at anyone, just a generalization. For all I know those guys don't even exist on this forum. On my f150 forum we have a few guys that build.
A lot of guys fab their own stuff. Mostly not for show jeeps. They build it to be strong and functional. Wouldn't call that mediocre. just might word it different if it were me
Old 09-12-2013, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

A lot of guys fab their own stuff. Mostly not for show jeeps. They build it to be strong and functional. Wouldn't call that mediocre.
I hear ya, but strong and functional is not the same as quality control.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 AM
JK Junkie

Strong and functional is not the same as quality control.
Pretty bumpers don't get ya down a trail. As for the OP, not familiar with the products you got, but in my eyes, RAW and "ready to paint/ finish" are not the same.

Last edited by kh202; 09-12-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Pretty bumpers don't get ya down a trail.
I disagree, a beautifully fab'd poison spyder will do just as good as an ugly (yet strong and functional) bumper.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

I dont think you expect to much at the prices we are paying even if its raw metal it should be ready to paint or powder coat out of the box. I think it sucks to have to get the grinder out and clean up someone else's mess. Out of all the things i have ordered for any of my 3 jk's and my sons yj the only company that has met my expectations was rough country which gets fiercely slammed on jeep forums it may have been i wasnt expecting quality from reading forums.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bill9274
I dont think you expect to much at the prices we are paying even if its raw metal it should be ready to paint or powder coat out of the box. I think it sucks to have to get the grinder out and clean up someone else's mess. Out of all the things i have ordered for any of my 3 jk's and my sons yj the only company that has met my expectations was rough country which gets fiercely slammed on jeep forums it may have been i wasnt expecting quality from reading forums.
Speaking of, I just ordered a bumper from RC, it's flawless. Beautiful welds, everything lines up perfect. Some chips in the powder coat but I wanted to bedline anyway. Oh, and I paid $220 shipped!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you are expecting too much but this is some what the reality of some after market parts. The manufacturers you list are small compared to the leaders which are relatively small (by sales volume). For instance, I agree with the previous post on JCR.

There seems to be a complacency about the finish and cosmetic aspect of after market part for off road vehicles. The focus seems to be on design (visual and sometimes engineering) but manufacturing is secondary. Part of problem is the packaging, large heavy metal parts are thrown into boxes with no individual item packaging for protection. The boxes are bulky so even with the best intentions of shippers, they still get banged around. You can often identify a premium product just by the packaging.

If anyone were to buy a new Jeep and it had defects on the bumper or skid plate, I think the vast majority would complain to the dealer. But if you buy the same defective new part from an after market company it's OK because it's going to get banged up offroad anyway?

IMHO, its discussions like this in our forum that provide one best channels of feedback to manufacturer's. In my personal case, it comes down to price, if the price is low enough compared to top-shelf parts then I am more tolerant. Just due to budget considerations, I do some buy some lesser cheap parts and have less expectations.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

My PSC Brawler Rockers had three pieces of shipping tape, the ends and the middle. The other items from them came in a well done boxes...

None the less I don't think you could
Damage them no matter how they were shipped....
Old 09-12-2013, 12:02 PM
JK Junkie

I disagree, a beautifully fab'd poison spyder will do just as good as an ugly (yet strong and functional) bumper.
I didn' mean pretty aren't strong. But not all fabbed ones are ugly lol

Quick Reply: Do I expect too much