Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynatrac ProRock 44 to replace the 30 in front??

Old 05-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XBlacky08X
Dynatrac - What is the difference between the RCV shafts and Chomoly w/u-joints? Also, what are the benefits of the Reid Racing knuckles? One other thing... Will a TrueTrac work the the unlimited? Thanks!
To compare a typical Domestic 4340 alloy shaft with aN RCV you'd need to use CTM u-joints. I love CTMs and they work well on the street with the proper maintenance but most won't do it. RCVs are easier to maintain and smoother.

I'm not quite sure about the benefits of the Reid knuckles. I know they're stronger but I'm not sure it matters. Your experience may vary.

A Truetrac will fit in a conventional version (also fits Detroit, ARB and others) of our PR44 (as opposed to a Rubi version)
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
To compare a typical Domestic 4340 alloy shaft with aN RCV you'd need to use CTM u-joints. I love CTMs and they work well on the street with the proper maintenance but most won't do it. RCVs are easier to maintain and smoother.

I'm not quite sure about the benefits of the Reid knuckles. I know they're stronger but I'm not sure it matters. Your experience may vary.

A Truetrac will fit in a conventional version (also fits Detroit, ARB and others) of our PR44 (as opposed to a Rubi version)
So a Truetrac will not fit in the pr44 unlimited?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XBlacky08X
So a Truetrac will not fit in the pr44 unlimited?
Yes, it will fit but it depends on which version you buy. We sell a version for the Rubi guys to install their internals and a conventional unit (usually used by Dana 30 guys) that accepts Truetrac, Detroit ARB etc.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Yes, it will fit but it depends on which version you buy. We sell a version for the Rubi guys to install their internals and a conventional unit (usually used by Dana 30 guys) that accepts Truetrac, Detroit ARB etc.
Ohhh ok.. Thank you for clarifying.. I am planing on buying from Northbridge.

Last edited by XBlacky08X; 05-25-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For someone doing this swap themselves:

Would it be advised to purchase a new front Drive shaft at the same time and replace the yoke on the transfer case?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by The_Yeti
For someone doing this swap themselves:

Would it be advised to purchase a new front Drive shaft at the same time and replace the yoke on the transfer case?
Since you would have the yoke off to change the ring and pinion, and since you would have the driveshaft disconnected, yes, might as well if you have the money to do it.

However, it wouldn't take long to replace the yokes and DS later if you needed to. When I did my swap, I knicked the pinion seal and it was leaking. It took me about 20-30 minutes to pull the driveshaft, remove the yoke, remove the seal, and put it all back together again with a new pinion seal. Replacing the yoke on the transfer case would take another 5 minutes or so.

Last edited by JKProfessor; 05-25-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKProfessor
Since you would have the yoke off to change the ring and pinion, and since you would have the driveshaft disconnected, yes, might as well if you have the money to do it.

However, it wouldn't take long to replace the yokes and DS later if you needed to. When I did my swap, I knicked the pinion seal and it was leaking. It took me about 20-30 minutes to pull the driveshaft, remove the yoke, remove the seal, and put it all back together again with a new pinion seal. Replacing the yoke on the transfer case would take another 5 minutes or so.
So the factory D30 pinion Yoke would fit the PR44?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

I went from a d30, to a rubicon d44 housing, to a pr44. Used the same driveshaft and yoke during each step up.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wish there was a way to get a loan for these PR!!!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKProfessor
I went from a d30, to a rubicon d44 housing, to a pr44. Used the same driveshaft and yoke during each step up.
so I'm not the only one

Quick Reply: Dynatrac ProRock 44 to replace the 30 in front??