Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR valve replacement options?

Old 04-13-2018, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I purchased the Wells EGR Valve on Amazon, the main reason being is that after watching the video I realized I needed the plastic rivets, and plastic push pins for the fenders and both gaskets, where Amazon made it all one stop shopping and easy, but didn't have the Napa available which also seem to be a good replacement. Once it arrives, let the fun begin.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Take out the 10mm bolts and nut that hold your flare, then pull up and a scoche towards you. I'm at the point where I can pull off the front flares and not break any clips. You won't need any of the plastic rivets and you shouldn't need any of the Christmas tree pins either. A flat tip screwdriver and some needle nose pliers will help you get the clips out of the sheet metal.

I perfected my "method" after buying only 9 zillion clips. The trees I rub on aren't as nice about removing the flares gently so the clips will eventually get used.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

LOL Karl!!!

Mr. Amazon arrived today. It's rainy cold and miserable out. Gonna wait for next weekend to install this. I decided to also order a replacement PCV and Intake Air temp sensor, which should be in mid next week since I haven't replaced those yet and am overdue on those as well.

EGR valve with all the gaskets, bolts, then a couple bags with the rivets and push pins

Old 04-15-2018, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

What's the best tool to get that rear hard to reach upper EGR bolt out? Thinking about running to HF and picking up a set of either of these sets of offset wrenches.
Option 1

Option 2

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-15-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I don't recall what I used but I do have ratcheting wrenches and then standard sockets but with fine tooth gear ratchets. I think I used a stubby ratchet to get in there. Difference is though- I've got the manual. The auto is supposed to be tougher because of the dipstick.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
LOL Karl!!!

Mr. Amazon arrived today. It's rainy cold and miserable out. Gonna wait for next weekend to install this. I decided to also order a replacement PCV and Intake Air temp sensor, which should be in mid next week since I haven't replaced those yet and am overdue on those as well.

EGR valve with all the gaskets, bolts, then a couple bags with the rivets and push pins

Yes, yes, yes, lovely weather we are having huh?

I will be interested to hear about the install of the new EGR valve Rednroll. I have not had to replace mine...yet.

I really need to take a break from reading posts in the forum. In less than 2 months I am planning on a 6,000 mile road trip in the JK, I hope everything holds up well for me out on the road.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bman
Yes, yes, yes, lovely weather we are having huh?

I will be interested to hear about the install of the new EGR valve Rednroll. I have not had to replace mine...yet.

I really need to take a break from reading posts in the forum. In less than 2 months I am planning on a 6,000 mile road trip in the JK, I hope everything holds up well for me out on the road.
Yes, definite sh*t weather lately. I see you're from Richmond. That's my past hometown, I'm RHS class of 1988 grad.

As they say, "You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy."

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-15-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Well, this job didn't go as planned. Finally got a good day of weather. Fender liner was easy to remove.

However that bottom bolt on the EGR valve didn't want to budge, where it seems I must have striped the head of the bolt and now I can't get a bite on it with a wrench.

I didn't even try to work on the other harder to reach bolt. :(
Old 04-28-2018, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

I was considering bringing this into the shop to have them deal with this headache but just couldn't find time this week.

What I feel I need to complete this job is the right tool for the job. What I've determined is likely the right tool to take off those (2) 10mm bolts is a 10mm 6 point offset box wrench. I shopped in multiple stores trying to find a 6 point wrench and am so far coming up empty. Everyone sells 12 point wrenches where I feel that is the problem I'm having. The 12 point isn't able to get enough bite on the bolt head where I ended up rounding off the edges of the bolt head with my 12 point box end wrenches.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E4H3240/?coliid=I1WZATDT5BD2L8&colid=41JVCR2XXBN2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Where the heck can I pick one of these up and better yet, not have to pay $70 for a single wrench?

If I can't find one of these, I might try putting a 6 point socket on those bolts and see if I can get a vise grip on that socket and be able to turn it.

The kick in the pants is that I own a standard 3/8", 7/16" 6 point offset box end wrench where a 10mm is in-between those 2 sizes.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-28-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

It would be time to go search for used wrenches locally and put a donor into a vice and create your own wrench. $70 is certainly crazy for that. Doesn't craftsman also have a wrench that is supposed to grab even with the edges lightly rounded? Snapon (for example only) has FlankDrive+ that's pretty effective at grabbing wasted heads but you'd probably be right back at that $70 mark for a wrench.

Quick Reply: EGR valve replacement options?