Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EGR valve replacement options?

Old 04-29-2018, 06:28 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

The irony is killing me too... Damn irony! I'll bet part of the problem is the road salt and corrosion too, and the factory doesn't bother with anti-seize.

The following users liked this post:
tlcman1959 (03-14-2020)
Old 04-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Well, I went to most of the chain shops around town, thinking they would likely have the best tools to tackle this job, where none of them would install a customer supplied part and wanted to install the Dorman EGR valve which I wanted to avoid, and to install anything else besides the Dorman was going to be a special order, wait for the part to arrive. Quoted prices for labor and including the replacement Dorman EGR was around $300, which at this point I would be happy to pay if they didn't have to install the Dorman. I ended up dropping it off at a local mom and pop shop who would install my supplied part. I let the guy know I didn't do him any favors and rounded the bolt head off. He told me as long as it wasn't busted off, he could handle it......now I wait for him to call. Hopefully, he has much better luck than me and I haven't ruined his day with this job.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:57 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Hopefully he'll tell you about his method
Old 04-30-2018, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Hopefully he'll tell you about his method
We'll see if there's a smile on his face when I go to pick it up.

Also I just realized I forgot to leave him my spline lug nut socket wrench to pull my wheel off. Typically, I leave it in my glove box but put it in my coat pocket to leave with the EGR valve and after this being my 4th visit to a shop, I forgot to pull it out and leave it. I guess I was too excited that he would do the work and install my supplied part. Hoping he has a spline lug nut socket, since I called an Uber to take me home and will need to catch another Uber to drop off the one in my pocket.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I just received the call from the shop. They've had it for over 24 hours and couldn't get it off either. What an absolute sh*t show this is turning into.

Gonna try going to my usual shop who wanted to install the Dorman. My thought is if they can get to the point of actually installing the Dorman, swapping it out myself after the fact shouldn't be too difficult.

Hoping it isn't in any worse condition than when I brought it in. A broken bolt would be very unwelcome at this point.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-01-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Last ditch idea I have is getting in there with a pencil dremel with a cut-off wheel and start cutting that factory EGR off to provide some additional space to get on those bolts.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:37 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Last ditch idea I have is getting in there with a pencil dremel with a cut-off wheel and start cutting that factory EGR off to provide some additional space to get on those bolts.
That sounds possible. There's a heat shield over the knock sensor and engine grounds that if removed might give improved access from below?. Maybe drop the exhaust/cats from the manifold? Another wild thought is to remove the trans cross-member, lower the trans with a jack, tilting the rear of the engine down. My trans is out, so it probably looks way different than I remember bolted together.

Just throwing out ideas, most of which are probably bad, hoping there's something helpful.

Edit: With enough careful grinding enough metal could be removed to break that flange in half, rotate each side separately, and loosen the bolts. Key words being "enough" and "careful" -- This is one tough job...

Last edited by Mr.T; 05-01-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Been following along with this one. What a frustrating situation. I wonder how much timethey actually put in to that bolt before throwing in the towel and saying "F this!".
Old 05-01-2018, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a standard 6 point combination wrench in 10 mm. You could take it, heat it up and bend it in the vise. I could get it to you whenever.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo316.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	828.1 KB
ID:	677019  
Old 05-01-2018, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bman
I have a standard 6 point combination wrench in 10 mm. You could take it, heat it up and bend it in the vise. I could get it to you whenever.
Sorry my phone didn't update and I didn't see that you were already past the point of using this wrench!!

I hate using a phone to post. After I look at these posts I feel like my first grader has better grammar than I do.

Quick Reply: EGR valve replacement options?