Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

engine mods

Old 07-23-2008, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine mods

just got in my aFe air intake and my airaid poweraid trottle body spacer. i have no mechanic experience but the instructions look fairly simple. the only thing that cause a red flag to go up in my head was when bolting the throttle body back on you must tighten the bolts to factory specs. does anyone know what the factory specs are, or where i can find them??

also if there are any trouble shooters i should know about before i take this project on this saturday? thanks for any and all help!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:35 PM
JK Super Freak

I just installed the Airraid throttle body last night with an AirRaid CAI. Saw the same thing in the instructions. I simply tightened them down with a wrench til i thought they were tight enough. Make sure you dont overtighten or youll break the plastic part between your cold air induction hose and the throttle body. wouldnt be cheap to replace that.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Instructions on how to properly install the throttle body spacer: Throw it just as far as you can, because they are worthless on the JK engines. They DO NOT work.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

hmm, well i already have it. so i might as well install it. but thanks for the advice.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd tighten it to about 20 ft. lbs. or less. Careful you don't bust the little plug socket that goes to the sensor that plugs into the tube...
Old 07-23-2008, 09:09 PM
JK Newbie

ok, thanks, do you think its worthless also?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:15 PM
JK Freak

a throttle body spacer only work on a carburated engine. on a fuel injected engine like our 3.8 it serves no benefit. on a carb'd engine the spacer gives the air and fuel extra time to mix, providing a better combustion.

On a fuel injected engine like ours, a spacer does nothing to increase that mixture. our engines mix the air and fuel right in the cylinder head.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberbrain
a throttle body spacer only work on a carburated engine. on a fuel injected engine like our 3.8 it serves no benefit. on a carb'd engine the spacer gives the air and fuel extra time to mix, providing a better combustion.

On a fuel injected engine like ours, a spacer does nothing to increase that mixture. our engines mix the air and fuel right in the cylinder head.
I tried already. If he would only do a search, he could save himself a little time and trouble. Oh well, he's gotta learn somehow, right?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

The torque spec is 65 in lbs in the following sequence attatched. This is roughly 5.5 ft lbs and which most ft lb torque wrenches do not go this low
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	134976380.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	11159  

Last edited by husker_shoe; 07-24-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cyberbrain

+1 with Cyberbrain
These things do not work on our engines. Your better off without it.

Quick Reply: engine mods