Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine options

Old 09-20-2016, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Thanks for the details, exactly what you outlined are my concerns. Do you have a list of recommended configurations which you've tested which includes axle gear ratios, transmission type, tire size and T-case configurations? I've been highly considering the Gen IV swap. The thing I'm most concerned about is falling down into a money pit unexpectedly. In other words, I decide to do a Gen IV LS swap and then learn afterwards, I also need to further invest in replacement axles and re-gearing because the trans or engine is over heating or find I have to add additional components like trans coolers, drive shafts, T-case etc. JK's ship with a few different axle gear ratios and it would really suck to find out afterwards that all this works great with the Rubicon 4.10 gears and T-Case but the trans overheats with my Sahara 3.73 gears and T-case, so I'll need to replace those items as well.

As other examples, knowing things ahead of time like if my A/C will still work or not, or other can bus controlled functions such as cruise control would be good information to know about prior to doing the swap as well.

If you have a web link you could share which goes into these kinds of details, I would love to read and learn more.
If you go with our recommended configuration there should be no surprises. Please remember we have been doing LS JK swaps almost as long as there have been Hemi JK swaps. Cruise control, AC, steering wheel controls.....all work. We even support automatic air on the newer JK's. Our swap is actually less invasive than a Hemi. The all aluminum LS is compact and light, about the same weight as a 3.8 V6 engine. This means no suspension mods, no cutting the firewall to move the steering shaft, no removing the battery tray and turning the battery...... The only mod in our swap is installing the engine mounts.

Over the years in Vegas we have learned what cooling systems work best, we have several offerings. I have tested high compression LS3's in temps over 120* which is very challenging. We help Hemi guys with overheat issues, we just did 3 Hemi to LS swaps in house. We offer 42 and 52 mm radiators, we offer single and dual pass radiators, we support many fans including the stock single wound JK DC brushed fan motor, the Pentstar outrunner brushless variable speed fan module, dual fans, a couple of ECM controlled GM fans including the very powerful Camaro SS variable speed fan.

Over the years we have refined the electronics. Early on was a learning experience for all of us, the Hemi guys, the supercharger guys and of coarse the LS. Many years later the swap has been rationalized and we have gained many economies. Fist and foremost is safety, reliability and compliance. There are shortcuts to functionality but you lose redundancies and on board diagnostics. remember we want your JK to be a Silverado with a Jeep body on it when you go to the dealer. We want the dealer to be able to scan, diagnose, update and repair the same as the OE vehicle. No hacked or patched calibrations, no modules missing and all on board diagnostics intact. We don't cop out on emissions and tell you "for off-road use only". We have over 25 LS JK registered in California now and continue to follow the laws. In some jurisdictions emissions can be tough so check your local rules but the USEPA regs apply to most areas.

You can check out our website at lswrangler.com and our YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/WranglerJKLS If you are interested in a kit or swap I recommend you complete the vehicle ID form on our website and send it in. We can then make recommendations for cooling, engines, gearing...... based on your needs. After hundreds of builds we have some experience what works best for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5_i...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by VEGASROBBI; 09-20-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am absolutely in love with the thought of a having an LS in mine. I can't give up the 6 speed though! I just don't get the experience, unless I'm rowing through gears! What are the options, if any...to put a 6 speed behind that Gen V?
Old 09-22-2016, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsukey
I am absolutely in love with the thought of a having an LS in mine. I can't give up the 6 speed though! I just don't get the experience, unless I'm rowing through gears! What are the options, if any...to put a 6 speed behind that Gen V?
Forget about the NSG370 behind a Gen V(maybe a 5.3) you will most likely shred it. Like the Gen IV truck engines it is unlikely GM will have a manual option. The Gen V LT1 with a Tremec will make an awesome combination though. Keep in mind emissions compliance, the transmission it part of the emissions package.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jsukey
I love my manual as well and it's one of the reasons I considered a supercharger but researching and talking to others who have done superchargers made me realize that it's not the best option for me. I want reliability, power and drivability. The LS fit that bill and as soon as I can get time to chat with Robbie and bounce some ideas off him I'll start the process. Just keep in mind no matter what you choose to do there will always be compromises somewhere, in this case it's giving up my manual transmission.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160902_200304.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	3.75 MB
ID:	657300  
Old 09-23-2016, 04:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrofpuppets
I love my manual as well and it's one of the reasons I considered a supercharger but researching and talking to others who have done superchargers made me realize that it's not the best option for me. I want reliability, power and drivability. The LS fit that bill and as soon as I can get time to chat with Robbie and bounce some ideas off him I'll start the process. Just keep in mind no matter what you choose to do there will always be compromises somewhere, in this case it's giving up my manual transmission.
I know that they can do a 6 speed behind some of the other LS options. The price jump was pretty significant though. Just don't know about the Gen V though.

Quick Reply: Engine options