Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

esp intermittent issues

Old 12-31-2019, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jkjay11
i did and only have this code stored

Jeep P0853 Drive Switch Input Circuit

nothing under abs
problem is i cant find what sensor this is. (what its called) i searched drive switch but that doesnt bring up anything about the trans. only switches for lights
You aren't getting ABS codes because the ABS is functioning correctly. As noted above, measure your axle centering and center your steering wheel. The system depends upon the steering wheel being dead centered. The sensor is in the clock spring inside the steering column housing.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
You aren't getting ABS codes because the ABS is functioning correctly.
Maybe it's not the same on the earlier models, but on my '13 if that ABS light comes on at all, a code is stored. Even if the light goes back off on it's own, there is a code sitting down in the ABS module signalling what it was that caused the light to come on. I suspect the OP did not use a scanner that can read the various module codes, but waiting for a response.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the abs light doesnt come on just the esp light flashes and the jeep thinks its slipping but its not. it doesnt do it all the time but when it does its when your taking a sharp turn. when that happens it gets a little scary

I used jscan to scan it
Old 01-02-2020, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the steering wheel is centered i still need to check the axle is centered but it looks like it is
Old 01-02-2020, 06:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. I personally have never had an issue with axles being uncentered, and I intentionally cheat my rear axle to the driver's side just a big due to drive shaft yoke clearance with my gas skid when wheelin, BUT, it sure doesn't hurt to be as accurate as you can be as SoK66 suggests. It's starting to sound a bit more like a clockspring issue as this is looking like it's not ABS sensor related. I replaced a clockspring this last year and just used the Crown part which i think was ~$120. It worked flawlessly. I'm not one to just throw parts at something, but in this case I don't think there are many things that could be causing the issue. I'd probably be willing to replace that part if it was me. Hardest part of the job is getting the steering wheel off the splines. Other than that it's about a 20-minute task.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jkjay11
the steering wheel is centered i still need to check the axle is centered but it looks like it is
Your symptoms still indicate what I've suggested. How have you checked your steering wheel centering?

If the axles are centered and the steering wheel is within it's (very narrow) range of tolerance then I'd concur you may have a clock spring issue. What makes me cautious about that being the issue, in general a failed or failing clock spring shows an airbag fail warning, not ESP/ESC.

Quick Reply: esp intermittent issues