Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Esp kicking in after drag link flip

Old 04-03-2017, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the wheel sensors and the appear to be fine. My only other thought is that with only a 3" lift that the flip is causing the drag link to be at too flat of a angle. Nothing is rubbing or binding but I know 3" is pretty shallow for the flip.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Centering the steering wheel is important of coarse.

Correcting the speedometer for actual vehicle speed is also important if you have oversize tires for several reasons.

When going straight down the road all 4 WSS signals should be equal, this is compared to the SAS(steering angle sensor) data which should be close to zero.

When turning the SAS angle sensed is compared to the differential wheel speeds through the SAS, the ESP program knows what the inside and outside WSS signals should be at a given steering angle.

If the data doesn't match a ESP code will be set. Common causes of this would be axles that are not centered which can cause crabbing. Wheelbase that is off left to right when running adjustable arms. Bent axle, a speedometer that is not calibrated correctly.......

These codes mainly set while turning at speed because that is where the difference is the greatest. I have even seen stock JK's in strong crosswinds throw ESP codes as you fight the crosswind with opposite steering input.

Not sure if this helps but something to check.

Last edited by VEGASROBBI; 04-03-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cbandy7777
I checked the wheel sensors and the appear to be fine. My only other thought is that with only a 3" lift that the flip is causing the drag link to be at too flat of a angle. Nothing is rubbing or binding but I know 3" is pretty shallow for the flip.
The steering angle has nothing to do with it. Read the post above.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
The steering angle has nothing to do with it. Read the post above.
In a high speed turn steering angle is synched to wheel speeds, each wheel is running at a different speed and it must be in range or a code is thrown.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

The drag link angle will not change how much the steering wheel rotates to effect a turn. Nor will the drag link angle change the difference of speed (rotation) of each wheel in the same turn at the same speed. The only change is how the force is applied to the pitman arm. Stock configuration with lift gives an upward and lateral force (from the knuckle). A flipped link has mostly lateral force and prevents unpleasant steering feedback particularly when striking a bump.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Ok I am running 33's but I corrected the speedometer. I will verify the steering wheel center when the procal arives. Is there a way to test the wheel sensors?
Old 04-03-2017, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cbandy7777
Ok I am running 33's but I corrected the speedometer. I will verify the steering wheel center when the procal arives. Is there a way to test the wheel sensors?
How did you correct the speedometer? Procal is used for that function. Remember a 33 isnt 33". 32 if you are lucky. I dont have any info on testing wheel speed sensors. I would take mine to the dealer for that. Know your limits.😂
Old 04-04-2017, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Well I got the procal today and steering wheel was perfectly centered so that's not the isssue. I double checked the tire size I had set previously with my superchip tuner and it is correct at 31.75 so I guess it is off to the stealership. Like I said before it the only thing that was changed was the drag link flip. I never had this issue previously.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked your tierod? It looks like it was replaced, too. That could easily throw off Your alignment.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:01 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throw your old draglink back on and report what happens....

Quick Reply: Esp kicking in after drag link flip