Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Exhaust opinion (may be controversial)

Old 12-28-2007, 04:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
As long as we are talking about this, does anyone have dyno results for just adding a K&N filter in the stock box.. The opening for it is in the same place that the CAIs end up so I don't see where they are getting any more cold air than the stock box. And they would be much more prone to suck water than the stock box.

As far as exhaust,, I hate noise, and the fact is a good free flowing exhaust does not have to be loud.. Just because no one bothers to make a decent one that is also quiet just ticks me off.
I'll guess the paper filter has flow characteristics that exceed the stock box, so a better flowing K&N drop in would probably not offer anything in performance, and with their poorer filtering compared to paper you'd just be letting in potentially more dirt. The benefit would be cost savings on replacing paper filters as the K&N is reuseable.

After much research and debate I decided to bite and try the Airaid. I do notice better throttle response, especially in the 2-3K rpm range which is useful for passing and getting on the freeway. Noise is noticeably louder under throttle, but no different at cruising rpms. Still haven't checked for MPG increases that many claim to have realized.

As for exhaust, the noise isn't worth the potential minimal gains to me. By looking at the size of the muffler and the piping I suspect it flows quite well, and is quiet. I do see why some use a smaller muffler and relocate it though.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
I do see why some use a smaller muffler and relocate it though.
Thats exactly why I replaced my muffler - the damn stock one is HUGE. I scraped it more offroad than anything else.

My new flowmaster tucks nicely up a lot higher than stock and is black so it doesn't stand out either.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bad63lac
Ahmm... It's been proven with dyno results to back it.... https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/results-848/

Results:

Bone Stock = 180.7hp / 215.8tq

With a single Magna Flow 6” x 18” muffler
Single Exhaust System = 194.3hp / 231.3tq

With MagnaFlow + AEM Brute Force Intake System..
Single Exhaust System with AEM intake = 202.1hp / 234.6tq

Single Exhaust with AEM intake and Jet Performance Stage II chip

Final Results = 213.9hp / 243.3tq
Overall Gains = 33.2 HP / 27.5 TQ

Also there was a big gain in HP/TQ between 500~2000rpm where it matters most (for offroading anyhow...)
In that thread, I didn't see a dyno sheet. Only what someone says is accurate. That is no different than believing a manufacturer. i highly doubt or believe the results are true and accurate. I have used intakes and exhausts on jeeps and noticed nothing but a louder sound. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this and can spend their money the way they want. I personally believe it is a waste of money.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
In that thread, I didn't see a dyno sheet. Only what someone says is accurate. That is no different than believing a manufacturer. i highly doubt or believe the results are true and accurate. I have used intakes and exhausts on jeeps and noticed nothing but a louder sound. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this and can spend their money the way they want. I personally believe it is a waste of money.

The dyno sheet is here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...p?t=848&page=6

I respect your opinion, but I got the same setup and although I didn't run the numbers, I can definitely tell the difference.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

StevieRay,

Did you have the muffler moved from the stock postion like the cooltech setup or did you just replace it. I am getting a Magnaflo installed next week at the muffler shop and was thinking of having it moved up to the space under the driver side. The shop guys said that the longer run from the muffler to the tip would give it a throatier sound.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

In response to the OP, I hate the noise to Hp gain ration as well. Maybe I'm getting old, but I think loud should have some serious performance to back it up. I grow so weary of the droning exhaust around my neck of the woods. Nobody likes the ricer exhaust except the guys driving them. Even in this forum, where I feel performance mods are respected far more than vanity mods, I still remember people asking for sound files to be uploaded. Some wanted to hear if it was the "right" kind of loud before shucking out thier hard earned dollars.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
In response to the OP, I hate the noise to Hp gain ration as well. Maybe I'm getting old, but I think loud should have some serious performance to back it up. I grow so weary of the droning exhaust around my neck of the woods. Nobody likes the ricer exhaust except the guys driving them. Even in this forum, where I feel performance mods are respected far more than vanity mods, I still remember people asking for sound files to be uploaded. Some wanted to hear if it was the "right" kind of loud before shucking out thier hard earned dollars.
Well, I consider myself squarely in the "getting old" category, but I have to disagree about why some of us want the sound files. It is precisely the issue we are talking about here. Some may want all the noise they can make. Me? I'll take as quiet a muffler I can get that still meets two basic criteria:
  1. Move it out of the back (like the CoolTech does), and
  2. Any marginal performance gain I can get with No Excessive Noise!!!
Number 1 is most important to me.

So keep the sound files coming!! I'm looking for a relatively QUIET solution!!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by samc
Don't know about a JK airbox specifically, but from the overall size of the filter element vs the engine displacement and rpm, the stock box is probably not limiting, nor is the stock filter for that matter; the K&N drop in might not breathe any better than a paper element. On Miatas, my fave, an open K&N cone makes no actual difference (just a perceived one from the extra noise--"it's making more noise, I must be going faster!") over the stock box and filter on a late-model.
The perfect quote! A 3.8 JK probably does feel like it has about as much torque and HP as a Miata 4 cyl. Truth hurts
Old 01-10-2008, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Well, I consider myself squarely in the "getting old" category, but I have to disagree about why some of us want the sound files. It is precisely the issue we are talking about here. Some may want all the noise they can make. Me? I'll take as quiet a muffler I can get that still meets two basic criteria:
  1. Move it out of the back (like the CoolTech does), and
  2. Any marginal performance gain I can get with No Excessive Noise!!!
Number 1 is most important to me.

So keep the sound files coming!! I'm looking for a relatively QUIET solution!!
Hey AZ I wasn't trying to attack anyone specifically, & was trying to point out SOME are interested in a sound "upgrade".

I think this is the thread that I was looking at way back when.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/magnaflow-exaust-2854/

It starts out with pretty much waht you are looking for. Getting the big can out of harms way. I felt like (and this may be my mufflers are supposed to muffle sound perspedtive) it degenerated into a quest for the right quality of noise.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I too dislike those rice burner noise maker cans. I wanted free flow and some sound but not anything drastic. The last thing is having a jeep sound like a rice burner. might as well put 22" rims and lots of chrome!!!!
Anyway, I talked to my performance muffler shop and They recommended a Magnaflow 16". They installed it, then put on the larger magnaflow (which was almost as quiet as the stock and also the same size!) and then the put on a flowmaster(too tinny) and then a Borla. By and by the smaller Magnaflow was just what the doctor ordered! Some sound but not enough to annoy me or others. The borla was deeper and started to get raspy like the rice burners.
BTW. My wife got in her JK and came back with a smile as to having more power. She did'nt notice the noise. She just asked what I did to it. Everybody has opinions and can or won't believe in results. We can throw the Synthetic debate in with this. Run a CAI, Catback and synthetic......
Good luck in you decision!

Quick Reply: Exhaust opinion (may be controversial)