Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabric Doors

Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fabric Doors

I've taken an interest to Bestop's fabric half doors. Are there any competing products on the market? Before I drop the dough on these things, I just wanted to see if there was anything similar out there. My search for alternatives has turned up nothing, so far.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it have to be fabric? I really like sheet metal half doors.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cjnomo
Does it have to be fabric? I really like sheet metal half doors.
Doesn't necessarily need to be fabric. I like the price point of the fabric and I like that it is an upper (window) and lower (door) solution.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

FWIW, I have the Bestop doors (top and bottom). On a scale of 10 I will give them a 7. The uppers catch wind at about 60mph and pull away from the door frame.

What I absolutely love is they are thin enough that I can stack all four sets in the cargo area and run doors off and use them for inclement weather.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:38 AM
JK Newbie

I am interested in this as well for the same reason as above. Could go all summer without doors and just use these if it rains. Thats a challenge in ohio for sure tho.

But dropping $1000 on doors is a bit salty. Are there any other options besides these bestop?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Siggy
I am interested in this as well for the same reason as above. Could go all summer without doors and just use these if it rains. Thats a challenge in ohio for sure tho.

But dropping $1000 on doors is a bit salty. Are there any other options besides these bestop?
I ended up finding the Bestop two piece soft doors on Craigslist from two different sellers (one sold his JKU for a JK, the other sold his JK all together) for $500 total. They're great for tossing on when it rains, and all four pieces fit in the Tuffy enclosure so I can always have them, but as soon as I start driving more than 45 they're awful. If you're worried about sudden short showers, the emergency top might be more your thing. No way would I have spent $1000.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a set of the fabric doors also. I use them for the few weeks before and after the full-naked season for chilly mornings and evenings. As they come they are a nightmare to drive at highway speeds. If you creatively bend the posts on the uppers that slide into the lowers, you'll get enough spring tension to keep the top corners sealed. The down side to that is that every time you close a door, you have to push on that top corner to get it to sit right. Those issues aside though, I think it's a great solution to have doors available that will actually stow inside the jeep.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:14 AM
Former Member

I think I have 3 other options for you.

But first I have personally sold many sets of Bestop Fabric Doors and I have a couple things to say. I first inform my customers that the doors will give you the protection you need in the price range you want to be in but have just a few simple down falls. One, Bestop Fabric Doors are of course noisier than hard doors, but if your a true Jeeper than noise isn't your concern. Two, the upper door may not seal properly against the windshield frame, so when you pick up to speed they might pull away from the frame. Bestop personally understand that concern and recommends to just tweak the door and bend it in until it hugs tight.
But pretty much those are the just the only two main concerns I have personally ever had with those doors.

Now for my other recommendations

1. Bestop Element Doors

part number - 51810-01 - lower tube door
part number - 51803-01 - lower door enclosure
part number - 51805-35 - upper door

Bestop Element Door system is a little different than the full fabric door. The lower door is a tube door that you will install the hard cover enclosure on top. This will give you a very solid lower door. Then the upper will slide into the lower door the same as the element door. Main difference is just having a stronger less noisy lower door.

2. Savvy Aluminum Half Door

I really like these doors because they are light weight and give you the ability to run uppers as well. Most guys I have seen with these doors have painted them to match, which makes them look amazing!

Aluminum half door doors JK jeep wrangler safari genright ucf

3. Rugged Ridge Half Doors

Part Number - 11509.01 - Front Door

This option is another that I like a lot. These doors are awesome because they resemble a factory half door, and can use the factory upper doors. Best part about that is that these doors are thicker, seal better, and the use of the factory upper door you should not have a problem of the upper door separating for the channel its resting in.

Last edited by Lashway4x4; 02-20-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Fabric Doors