Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

feels like esp kicks in on some turns after lift?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feels like esp kicks in on some turns after lift?

Every once and a while on a sharp turn like ink a parking lot or driveway at moderate speed I feel that quick jolt of tension to the front driver side tire.

It does not flash on my dash though.

I have stock tires, 2.5" rock krawler lift. Did not get professional allignment but the jeep drives straight as an arrow.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you don't need a professional alignment done and all one would be able to do is recenter your steering wheel. if you haven't already done so, you need to make sure that your steering wheel is perfectly recentered. also, you need to make sure that you are not running too much air in your tires. for something like a 35" tire, you should be at about 30-32 psi
Old 05-06-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Trauma
Every once and a while on a sharp turn like ink a parking lot or driveway at moderate speed I feel that quick jolt of tension to the front driver side tire.

It does not flash on my dash though.

I have stock tires, 2.5" rock krawler lift. Did not get professional allignment but the jeep drives straight as an arrow.
I had that happen before I put my lift on. Occassionally the brake will sort of "clunk" when you turn sharp or turn and brake. I never figured out why it did it, but it's actually lessened since I got the lift. That might be my driving style changes though.

Micah
Old 05-06-2011, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by burbingus
I had that happen before I put my lift on. Occassionally the brake will sort of "clunk" when you turn sharp or turn and brake. I never figured out why it did it, but it's actually lessened since I got the lift. That might be my driving style changes though.

Micah
Yea that's essentially what happens.

Im running stock tires.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:08 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Trauma
Yea that's essentially what happens.

Im running stock tires.
did you make sure that you recentered your steering wheel after your lift? this is a critical step.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
did you make sure that you recentered your steering wheel after your lift? this is a critical step.
I've had this same issue for a while. It mainly happens on banking right turns. but it has gone off one a few "lefts" as well. I had my wheel re-centered, alignment, everything and its still doing it. I may try dropping the psi a couple more. If not, may just lift with it. I know my axle is off by 1/4" or so, could that be it?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
I've had this same issue for a while. It mainly happens on banking right turns. but it has gone off one a few "lefts" as well. I had my wheel re-centered, alignment, everything and its still doing it. I may try dropping the psi a couple more. If not, may just lift with it. I know my axle is off by 1/4" or so, could that be it?
Yep mine only happens on right turns as well lol
Old 05-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What is nice about a "professional alignment" is they should have a Star Scan unit or something similar that reads the steering wheel position sensors when it is on the rack so the steering wheel position sensors can be synced up the the tire position properly.

Some of the ESP parameters were as tight as +/- 2 degrees which requires a seriously trained eye. If that is not you, then really, take it to an alignment shop with the proper tools so you do not have this issue.

Also, make sure your tire pressures are equal across the vehicle. A good difference in tire pressure is enough to change the rolling radius of the tires to a point where you get a tire pull.

These are all good things to check.

Rock Krawler

Quick Reply: feels like esp kicks in on some turns after lift?