Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fire extinguisher location suggestions

Old 02-06-2014, 04:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire extinguisher location suggestions

After seeing / hearing of a few jeep fires (and the fact that I have WAY more in my rig than my Ins. Co. would cover) I am inspired to add a fire extinguisher. I like the drake under seat mount, just concerned it would be in the way, as I ride with the seat all the way back. This brings me to my questions...

1. Does anyone have any experience with this set up and is it possible to place the mount on the seat bracket in reverse so the extinguisher is under the seat instead of in front of it?

2. Any other location or suggestions you have? Pics would be great!

Here is a pic of the drake under seat set up from quadratec.

PS I'm working on additional insurance for mods, an extinguisher just seems to make sense too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3558839655.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	529191  
Old 02-06-2014, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg
Views:	3240
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	529228

This is my set-up. I did it by removing the plastic cover things from the seat rail, and then attached the extinguisher with a piece of heavy duty velcro in the front and a very large zip-tie in the back. I got the fire extinguisher from a local safety equipment supplier. It has been there for nearly 12,000 miles with no issues and I don't feel that it has ever been in the way, and it is completely removable if you decide you don't like it.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I made a review for this on another forum (hate to cut and paste, but whatever)

Product review; Drake fire extinguisher holder and front seat mount - Jeep Wrangler Forum

If you reverse the bracket, i dont think there is a way the fire extinguisher would fit under the seat

"I got a few items for christmas and finally installed, wanted to share my thoughts since there are no reviews about this product. Using q-tec as links, but I purchased from various offroad venders

Drake front seat mount
Drake Off Road JP181110A - Drake Off Road™ Front Seat Accessory Mounting Bracket for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Drake fire extinguisher mount
Drake Off Road FREXMNTDOR - Drake Off Road™ Fire Extinguisher Mount in Black - Quadratec

Drake clamps for the mount (you can get these at hardware store for cheaper, I just paid a few bucks more for convenience of having it sent to me)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/98003_1990.

H3R performance 2.5 lb halgaurd fire extinguiisher
H3R Performance HG250B - H3R Performance HalGuard 2.5lb. Premium Fire Extinguisher - Quadratec

Background - A lot of people mount it on the rear pillars or tailgate, but it wasn't where I wanted mine. I wanted easy access from front seat.

So I shopped around and found the Drake front seat mount for $20. Easy access for me or the passanger

When everything arrived, I did a test fit on the driver's side. I didn't like it there because I'd have to watch my foot placement each time I entered the Jeep.

So I decided to place it on the passenger side instead and it was perfect. Easy to reach from drivers side, passenger to easily get to it as well. And since I drive 95% of the time without a passenger, it doesn't bother me when I get in and out

Install was easy, attached the fire extinguisher mount to the drake front seat mount (2 screws, included). I then used a breaker bar to remove 2 front seat bolts. I attached the Drake front seat mount (had to use spacer included, see pics) then torqued it to 45-50 lb-foot (per internet research). Fire extinguisher was easy to attach, just had to readjust a few times to get it where I wanted

Pics attached
It hows seat in full back position, and fully forward
It does not hinder movement of the seat
Easy to get in and out, and it's out of the way for the most part
I just have to remind passengers to be aware

There is definitely some rattling though. I isolated the rattling and it's specifically from the fire extinguisher mount. There is very small amount of play, but enough to get some rattles when you go over bumps"
Old 02-06-2014, 08:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by brian3033
After seeing / hearing of a few jeep fires (and the fact that I have WAY more in my rig than my Ins. Co. would cover) I am inspired to add a fire extinguisher. I like the drake under seat mount, just concerned it would be in the way, as I ride with the seat all the way back. This brings me to my questions...

1. Does anyone have any experience with this set up and is it possible to place the mount on the seat bracket in reverse so the extinguisher is under the seat instead of in front of it?

2. Any other location or suggestions you have? Pics would be great!

Here is a pic of the drake under seat set up from quadratec.

PS I'm working on additional insurance for mods, an extinguisher just seems to make sense too.
Man, we are on parallel paths here... I've been working my insurance agent hard, she's called all of the companies she normally uses and nobody cares when they hear Jeep and current model they lose any interest.

i also came across some scary stories about fire tragedies that might have been lessened, if not avoided, by having an extinguisher at arms reach.

I like the Drake's overall design, I'm torn between next to the seat vs the front of seat...I tend to have the seat a bit closer to the forward position and my only real concern is getting to the Drake release without the steering wheel getting in the way.

But would the mount between the side of the seat and the door be accessible with the door closed?

I've been looking at the BC versions, I know the drawbacks, but I already have an ABC mounted to a roll bar...when I was going to school one of the dozen jobs I had was inspecting and refilling fire extinguishers and that powder crap sticks to everything, just as it was designed to.

So I'm pretty sure I'm going to give the Drake bracket and the Jk mount a try...

Plus I'm doing a couple more Jamborees this year and my wife is quite happy at me spending $ on safety gear!

matthew
Old 02-07-2014, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

***Warning on the Drake's JK seat mount on newer JKs. I had to heavily modify the bracket to fit my 2013 Rubicon seat. Some of the newer JKs have plastic covering the rails. If your JK has the plastic trim, the Drake JK seat bracket will not fit without modification.
I talked directly to Drake about this and they are now aware of the issue with the new seats.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a rollbar mount and mount it on the rear driver's side downbar. Easy to get to (open the rear door and pull it out, I leave it slightly loose in the velcro mount). Sorry, I don't remember the brand name but it's very similar to the mastercraft grab handles.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three locations come to mind:
Drivers side attached to driver's seat (side mount)
Passenger side, passenger seat (side mount)
up on back-side of roll bar/sound bar

All three of these are detailed in varying degrees in the "cheap and/or free mods that should be done" thread in this forum - a quick search should bring you the thread. It is quite long/extensive but there's a lot of great tips/tricks in there if you're willing to dedicate the time to reading it in its entirety (or search though it) I was bored and had a LOT of free time. I compiled a lot of notes from it and have a nice list of cheap/free mods to tackle when I get back and have some time to tinker on the Jeep.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjkamp
Attachment 529228

This is my set-up. I did it by removing the plastic cover things from the seat rail, and then attached the extinguisher with a piece of heavy duty velcro in the front and a very large zip-tie in the back. I got the fire extinguisher from a local safety equipment supplier. It has been there for nearly 12,000 miles with no issues and I don't feel that it has ever been in the way, and it is completely removable if you decide you don't like it.
Mine sits right here too. Best place for it IMHO, with a spare on the rear roll bar.
Mine is the size where it sits loose and tucks right into that area with just a bit of movement, but nothing clunking when wheeling.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I keep mine on the roll bar right behind the driver seat. Where ever you put it make sure you can get to it fast. I had to test mine a couple a weeks ago and if I didn't get on the fire as fast as I did it would have burned to the ground.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by T&ERun
I have a rollbar mount and mount it on the rear driver's side downbar. Easy to get to (open the rear door and pull it out, I leave it slightly loose in the velcro mount). Sorry, I don't remember the brand name but it's very similar to the mastercraft grab handles.
Easy to get to, open the rear door...

We are talking about mounting options for places where you can get to it without having to even be able to open your door or even unbuckle your seat belt...

If I had that much time I'd have a giant one strapped down in the far back of the Jeep.

Matthew

Quick Reply: Fire extinguisher location suggestions