Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper & Winch Combo: Rubicon Hard Rock

Old 04-22-2018, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper & Winch Combo: Rubicon Hard Rock

Howdy all. Proud new owner of a '15 JK Rubicon Hard Rock.

Planning some upgrades and I'm kinda stuck on the front end.

Here's why.

RHR has a "Winch Compatible Bumper", but from what I'm reading, I'll still need an aftermarket which plate (which is in the $300 range)

I also want to add an upside down U-bar (not sure what they're called). Another $300+.

From what I've seen, there are some decent bumpers for around $750.

I've read that the RHR bumper has some fans who might buy it, if I replaced it, so I might do better to sell and replace.

So my question is:

Can anyone recommend a GOOD (reasonably priced) front bumper that will NATIVELY attach a Warn M8000 winch and has the U-bar?

Also, needs to have gaps for the existing tow hooks.

No modifications required please.

TIA!
Old 04-23-2018, 07:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

There are indeed people that value the HR bumper, and will pay a decent amount for them depending on your area.

In regards to a new bumper, there are tons of quality aftermarket bumpers that will fit your need, but it's all personal preference on looks etc. Are you looking for a full width, mid width, or stubby? You can get something very nice for that kinda of budget that will accomodate a winch.

Not sure I get where you're going with the too hook stuff. Are you towing behind a motorhome? What kind of "gaps" are you talking about? What "u-bar" are you talking about?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

The tow hooks I am referring to are sticking out of the top of the bumpers, inside of the fog lights. (See pic). I assume those are tow hooks...?

The U-Bar (as I incorrectly call it) is a grill guard.

My main concern is finding a bumper that will mount to my winch WITHOUT having to buy a dedicated winch plate. Trying to save a few buck where I can.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The tow hooks will be replaced on almost all aftermarket bumpers with d-rings, with which you'll use a shackle instead. You'll remove those red tow hooks and let them go with the bumper to the new owner. Just about all aftermarket bumpers will automatically accommodate your winch. PSC, EVO, LOD, GenRight all make high quality gear. You can step down a notch in quality and also look at Smittybilt, DV8, and various other brands as well. A lot of the time you'll have to factor in some sort of finish when buying the nicer equipment as they come in raw metal. A lot of the chinese manufactured things will come powder coated already and will appear more budget friendly.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I will add.....many aftermarket bumpers may require you to relocate the vacuum pump that sits down in the factory bumper (right in front of the grill on the driver's side), but that is not a big deal. You get a little bracket and relocate that up in to the engine bay. Some manufacturers (like Smittybilt) do cut their bumpers to accommodate leaving that in the stock location. You won't see this vacuum pump until you remove the bumper and then it's sitting there plain as day hooked to the inside of the driver's side frame rail.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

I assume the pump is for turning on/off the diff lockers?

This looks like it might work with the stock HR bumper, without breaking the bank, but I don't know the manufacturer. Not sure if they are any good.

Rock Hard 4x4™ Patriot Series Winch Plate for 10A/Hard Rock Edition/Recon Front Bumper for Jeep Wrangler JK 2/4DR 2007 - 2018 [RH-5017]

Mounting plate, grill guard, pump relocator for less than $400.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

No, the vacuum pump is braking related. It’s not a big deal at all to relocate it, and the brackets are cheap with DIY’s readily available. I wouldn’t let that influence your purchase, just pointing it out. I’d def pick the bumper you like the most out and there are a ton to choose from.

Rock Hard 4X4 is a quality manufacture. If you want to keep your bumper, that is a good option.
The following users liked this post:
TheKrizzz (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Great info. Really appreciate all of your help!!
Old 04-23-2018, 08:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Congrats on your purchase.....time to start enjoying it!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I like the stock bumper and the winch plate from maximus3 via rubitrux is closer to $200 then it is to $300 and they actually make some tow hooks as well if that is something someone has to have. I have custom front bumpers, an AEV front bumper and to date never had an issue using the stock hooks vs the shackles. I have pulled at near 90* angle on the stock ones and never had a problem. with the VR10 or other smaller body winch you don't need to relocate the vacuum pump. very easy install.
The following users liked this post:
TheKrizzz (04-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Front Bumper & Winch Combo: Rubicon Hard Rock