Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gearing up for an Arctic Expedition

Old 12-19-2009, 04:20 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Methyl Hydrate (Home Depot / Canadian Tire) ~$8 gallon

Can be used as a gas line antifreeze, air brake antifreeze, additive to boost freezing point of washer fluid, will defrost frozen parts in seconds and this stuff is very flammable which is something you'd want in the deep cold.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

You guys are for sure continuing the "CRAZY CANUCK" name .

I wish you the best of luck and think you are very brave doing this is one vehicle. I understand the cost of preparing 2 vehiclesfor this type of trip. Your best thing so far was going with the New tires as I have procomp MT's and they suck in the snow(mine are pre drilled for studs ) Good luck and hope you stay nice and warm.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:34 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by neoxxis
This sounds interesting...
BUT it took 5 pages to get the first "bring 2 Jeeps"...

They say dont wheel alone.
You may hit deep mud, get stuck, etc. And your life may not be in danger.

Now they're going 10 000 km out North in -200 degrees with only 1 Jeep???
I trust my JK but would never try to go that far away without a buddy/buddy...

2 guys with CB in separate JK is not that bad...
Gives you twice the storage, 2 chances at everything...

Anyway good luck!

I'll be happy to follow the story!
Yes, like I said before, although I do like being "on the edge" myself at times, I wish they'd find somebody else to go with them. To help out with the boredom......2 guys in one vehicle and 2 guys in the other. Plus it would be a hell of a lot more fun with 4 guys. I would think that if they are not leaving till Feb/March, that if they put the word out they could find somebody else to join in by then...???

Again, I haven't looked at a map yet, but what I want to know is how far will you have to drive without any available services? I know you'll be carrying gas but don't forget your MPGs go waaaaaaay down in the extreme cold.

As far as the ice roads being open.....doesn't it just go year to year......depending on the weather and how thick the ice is? So you can never really know for sure........right?

Oh and btw.......could you show/list the route you will be taking so we all can all grab a map see for ourselves?....Thanks.

Oh......there was another thing I thought about as far as gear goes.....an old sleeping bag or old heavy blanket/s that you can throw over the engine compartment during the nights. Believe it or not they do help to keep the heat in and do well also if you have to have a stove lit underneith.....you may have noticed engine covers on airplanes....? Sometimes very little bit helps.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default Huge agreement....

Originally Posted by MFX
Methyl Hydrate (Home Depot / Canadian Tire) ~$8 gallon

Can be used as a gas line antifreeze, air brake antifreeze, additive to boost freezing point of washer fluid, will defrost frozen parts in seconds and this stuff is very flammable which is something you'd want in the deep cold.

I'm on board with this suggestion.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Oh......there was another thing I thought about as far as gear goes.....an old sleeping bag or old heavy blanket/s that you can throw over the engine compartment during the nights. Believe it or not they do help to keep the heat in and do well also if you have to have a stove lit underneith.....you may have noticed engine covers on airplanes....? Sometimes very little bit helps.[/QUOTE]

I know this will sound silly to people from outside the region but.....
When its really crappy; I lift the wiper blades off the windshield on longer stops so the blades don't freeze to the glass.
~ as my Alaskan neighbor said... every little bit counts.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

One thing I didn't read anyone say yet. Is have your tires initally filled with Nitrogen. Rather than just plain air. The nitrogen will give you a more "real" Psi. It shouldn't expand/contract any and make your tire pressure flux any.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Don't bring a canister stove.

Haven't read all the posts, however I have seen one or two recommending canister fuel type stove (like JetBoil). While I have one of those and think it is the cat's ass as far as hiking and camping, they are not at all winter friendly (esp. at the temps you will experience). Anything with compressed Propane, Butane or Isobutane will not do well unless you keep them (fuel canister) heated.

You will be much better with a multi-fuel stove such the MSR Dragonfly. It will burn 87 Octane, Jet fuel, Diesel, Kerosene, Coleman fuel (white gas) etc. They are easy to repair in the field (if you get a repair kit, very cheap). While they cost a bit more, they are FAR more reliable, and you can ALWAYS find a fuel that will work. You pump the fuel bottle and prime stove yourself so don't have to worry about sputtering or no fuel flow like you would with compressed gas canisters
Old 12-23-2009, 03:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heavily siped mud terrains seemed to do the job for me. Yeah, they dont work on the road well, but for ice and snow they rock.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Made any decisions about timing?

Mid-January here north of sixty and weather has been kind. Temperatures in south Yukon are -20, NWT is - mid 30 ... pretty decent overall. Have you decided on a departure date? If you end up taking the Whitehorse route I'd be glad to meet you.
cheers,
Borealbreeze.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Newjeepster
One thing I didn't read anyone say yet. Is have your tires initally filled with Nitrogen. Rather than just plain air. The nitrogen will give you a more "real" Psi. It shouldn't expand/contract any and make your tire pressure flux any.
And when did thermodynamics stop applying to nitrogen?
Air=~78%nitrogen.

Quick Reply: Gearing up for an Arctic Expedition