Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gearing up for an Arctic Expedition

Old 12-15-2009, 02:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds challenging and exciting. Cant wait to see the pix.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 08RedRecon
Sounds challenging and exciting.
And cold........ Hope they got good damn sleepin' bags........lol
Old 12-18-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Newbie

Well I got the tires today, look damn good. However I'm now a little concerned about mounting them on the 16" stock rims and if they'll rub. Chances are they will, but only at full lock, and really, do you need full lock? So I'll get them mounted tomorrow and see how she does.

Roof rack design is coming along, went and check out a place with a break and a waterjet place, so I've got some ideas floating around now. Hopefully I'll get 'er designed up this weekend.

We're debating over our start date, Mid Feb was the original plan, but we might push it back to the last week in February or the last two in March, which would give us more prep time, sunlight, and slightly better temperatures. I assume all the ice roads will still be running at the end of March but I'd better check. Anyone know? We'll have our start date hammered out by the end of the weekend so we can book some vacation time.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could always adjust your steering stops.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...top-adjustment
Old 12-18-2009, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You could always adjust your steering stops.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...top-adjustment
Good call, I hadn't seen this before. Will definitely do it if I'm rubbing.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Smile

Sound like fun.

Make sure your boot syntetic material can stand the cold.
keep a battery startpack with you all the time(warm)
Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 PM
uge
JK Newbie

have a look to these guys, they have been preparing trucks for artics conditions for a couple of years.

They donīt prepare jeeps, but perhaps you could find some ideas for your trip

http://www.arctictrucks.com/
Old 12-18-2009, 11:47 PM
JK Newbie

Default ice bridges

We're debating over our start date, Mid Feb was the original plan, but we might push it back to the last week in February or the last two in March, which would give us more prep time, sunlight, and slightly better temperatures. I assume all the ice roads will still be running at the end of March but I'd better check. Anyone know? We'll have our start date hammered out by the end of the weekend so we can book some vacation time.[/QUOTE]

Winter solstice is this weekend so we start gaining daylight (yippee). By late February we gain about 6 minutes a day... adds up fast. Later is better for light but the roads start to deteriorate because of mid-day sun. But they aren't likely to be meltwater...
Ice bridges are closing by mid April. I think the Peel River crossing is currently rated at 45000 kg. ... by April that weight will drop to 20000 kg then they close the road and wait for break-up. Worst of all is you can't depend on the date to guarantee just how warm or cold the weather will be. We have been sitting at -3 C for days while Edmonton has been stuck in the freezer. Weather is fickle. Pick you dates, roll the dice and hit the gas.
Me? I'd vote for the march date and bring sunglasses otherwise you just spend a whole lot of time driving in the dark.

Cheers.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:50 PM
JK Newbie

added info:
http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages...e_Bridges.aspx

have fun.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget food. I pack MREs with me where ever I go, just in case I get stuck somewhere far away...

These aren't the gross old C-rations... they are actually very good. Even my picky wife loved them. You can even get water activated heaters to heat them up.

Quick Reply: Gearing up for an Arctic Expedition