Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gearing up for an Arctic Expedition

Old 12-13-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first moved to Alaska, I had a 77 CJ and had to take a lot into account when driving for work. Tires are crucial and I would suggest studs and chains. Also, Gerry cans with a lot of extra gas are essential. Some gas stations that are open in the spring/summer/fall will not be open in the winter. Take as much warm gear as possible, along with a tent, just in case. I've driven the Haul Rd. from Fairbanks, AK to Prudhoe Bay about 6 times and it's scary as anything when you realize you're in the Arctic and any problems can mean death out there if no one comes by if you break down or whatever.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

I just read through this entire thread and want to add the following opinions/ideas. Take a solid form of fuel for starting fires if needed. Trioxane is available at many outdoor supply places. The solid fuel is safe and burns great if you need to start a fire and takes a spark to ignite. Be prepared for the absolute worst that could conceivably happen. Prepare for everything. Take a rifle since you're not allowed handguns. Take no cotton clothing...cotton kills. Take more than what you'll need and be thankful you have it.

I lived and worked all over Alaska for about 9 years and know how bad things can get. Sadly, I've seen shit that many people would never talk about when it comes to weather and the elements. If you're not prepared and dead-set on doing this trip in the winter, I'll offer as much advice as possible.

You're JK is NOT made to endure some of the temps you'll see, so take that into account. Turning off the engine to sleep may be a huge mistake unless you're able to plug it in and have a block heater, battery blanket, and tranny heater. I've been in -90 degree weather and shit goes bad quick.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Google MSR reactor stove. Works wonders even at high altitude and low temps.

backcountry.com is my favorite outdoor gear retailer as their return policy is no questions asked, full refund, lifetime, no matter what.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:19 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by joeybear
I just read through this entire thread and want to add the following opinions/ideas. Take a solid form of fuel for starting fires if needed. Trioxane is available at many outdoor supply places. The solid fuel is safe and burns great if you need to start a fire and takes a spark to ignite. Be prepared for the absolute worst that could conceivably happen. Prepare for everything. Take a rifle since you're not allowed handguns. Take no cotton clothing...cotton kills. Take more than what you'll need and be thankful you have it.

I lived and worked all over Alaska for about 9 years and know how bad things can get. Sadly, I've seen shit that many people would never talk about when it comes to weather and the elements. If you're not prepared and dead-set on doing this trip in the winter, I'll offer as much advice as possible.

You're JK is NOT made to endure some of the temps you'll see, so take that into account. Turning off the engine to sleep may be a huge mistake unless you're able to plug it in and have a block heater, battery blanket, and tranny heater. I've been in -90 degree weather and shit goes bad quick.
Yup......when steel can shatter like glass, you gotta watch out what you're doin.....
Old 12-14-2009, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

The reason we're taking one vehicle is because there are two of us going, and to each drive the 8000kms on this trip in the two weeks would be very difficult, not to mention boring with nobody to talk to! I understand the risks associated with just taking one vehicle, but that is why we're going to do as much as we can to be prepared for the worst, and if something does happen we'll have several backup plans for survival and rescue. There is a lot of good information here that I'm putting towards our preperation.

For the stove I've got an MSR Whisperlite International which will burn pretty much anything, including gasoline. I think we'll take another stove as backup as well, that way we'd have two stoves to warm up the engine block if needed. Can anyone give me some good details of how to do this? (where to heat, what not to heat, etc.) I should be comfortable doing this before I need to do it.

Next item on the list is the roof rack, and then the duel battery setup. Going to try and figure these two out on my own, but I'll see how I do.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

A shovel is good to dig yourself out or to shovel embers from the fire you've made under the oil pan... don't need a big stove. [/QUOTE]

You would want to be careful with a 'fire' under your Jeep....had a buddy do this in Colorado on a skiing trip with his car.....he ended up buying all the transmission fluid there was between CO and Louisiana. Yeah, he is a bit of a goof.

Too bad you guys can't have a pistol with you....it would be easier to shoot yourself if all this planning falls short.

Last edited by alaskabound; 12-14-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alaskabound

Too bad you guys can't have a pistol with you....it would be easier to shoot yourself if all this planning falls short.
Thats so wrong.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:55 PM
JK Newbie

Bring a camera, your gonna see some cool stuff!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by alaskabound
A shovel is good to dig yourself out or to shovel embers from the fire you've made under the oil pan... don't need a big stove.
You would want to be careful with a 'fire' under your Jeep....had a buddy do this in Colorado on a skiing trip with his car.....he ended up buying all the transmission fluid there was between CO and Louisiana. Yeah, he is a bit of a goof.

Too bad you guys can't have a pistol with you....it would be easier to shoot yourself if all this planning falls short.[/QUOTE].

We are only allowed rifles in Canada: cumbersome but effective. Your buddy must have missed the word Embers. As in charcoal; lots of heat but no flames. I've seen truckers use tiger torches... now that is scary. And, to our explorer friends; Dempster is closed again today between Eagle Plains and Fort Simpson due to extreme snow drifts.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
bkw
JK Freak

This couple took an epic journey and went from SF to as far north as you can go, then all the way south to the tip of South America, and eventually Antarctica.

http://www.alongdrive.com/about/

Here's what they brought. You can click on each section to get a better view and a description of each item.

http://www.alongdrive.com/picture-of...aterial-world/

While all the stuff and preparation they did is probably overkill for you, it'll at least get you started in the right direction.

Here's their update thread on the fj cruiser forums. They finished their overland expedition earlier this year.

Last edited by mkjeep; 12-14-2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: no competing forums please

Quick Reply: Gearing up for an Arctic Expedition