Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hard top off with one person

Old 09-05-2013, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard top off with one person

I just moved into an apartment building with underground parking, I've really been wanting to take the top off, but I'm by myself and don't have anyone to help me. Pulleys aren't an options because I don't have anywhere to do it. Have heard of people being able to take them off by themselves and I was just wondering what the best way to do that would be? Is there anyway to put a bar in the back, inside, because I understand by the rear window is the best point to balance the top because of the weight. I have the bestop door and top cart. Thanks guys.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie

When I was 10 years younger I took it off by myself a few times...I do not recommend it!

By doing that and other "overuse" lifting sort of things I've had two shoulder surgeries

It's not necessarily the weight , it's just that the thing shifts around and you use a tremendous amount of strength to keep from dropping it

Find a buddy, or two, and it's a piece of cake

For storage I sucked it up and bought the little ventricle dolly gadget sold by Quadratec and its saved a ton of space in our garage and more importantly my wife likes it stored that way as it not only saves space but you can roll it around with even just one hand

And don't forget, if you order from Quadratec and mention the JK forum n and your username they waive shipping!

Matthew
Old 09-05-2013, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

might be a good reason to meet some of the neighbors in your new apartment building. maybe you can host a jeep top removal/football party. free beer for those that help with the top, otherwise its BYOB...
Old 09-05-2013, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iiM RuSHiN
I just moved into an apartment building with underground parking, I've really been wanting to take the top off, but I'm by myself and don't have anyone to help me. Pulleys aren't an options because I don't have anywhere to do it. Have heard of people being able to take them off by themselves and I was just wondering what the best way to do that would be? Is there anyway to put a bar in the back, inside, because I understand by the rear window is the best point to balance the top because of the weight. I have the bestop door and top cart. Thanks guys.
My dealer has a program where they store the hardtop for you for the summer for 120. You have to remove all the bolts, but they will help lift it off and on. I like it because of the help, and because it saves me garage space allowing me to park inside.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I removed my 2013 unlimited top by myself. It is not that heavy maybe 100/110 lbs. it is awkward. I sat inside and lifted and eased my way off the back and set it on saw horses.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've removed it myself from my 2-door. It's not a lot of fun, it is a lot of balancing on the head and scooting the top backwards on the Jeep. It is infinitely easier with a second person, even if it's a 90 lb Korean girl that can't/doesn't follow directions.

If you are dead set on removing it by yourself have all the bolts out and the rear window open. Keep the tailgate closed. Slowly scoot it back so that your head is near the front but you still have balance of it. Lift it off and then back up. Drop to your knees and slowly lower the front to the ground. Then I just stand it up with the glass facing up and I'm able to man-handle it around the garage like that. Be sure to *never* store anything on top of the glass or use it as a work bench.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I removed my 2013 unlimited top by myself. It is not that heavy maybe 100/110 lbs. it is awkward. I sat inside and lifted and eased my way off the back and set it on saw horses.
I have done it this way as well. It honestly is much easier to find a helper. Not worth dropping and damaging a $2000 hard top...
Old 09-05-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's my solution. While I'd like to take credit for it, I actually saw something very similar on one the many Jeep forums. I changed it slightly, adding the 45* angled supports and offsetting them enough bottom to top, to accommodate the two roof panels. The height is level with the edge of the top. The front vertical post line up with the outside edges of the square protrusions on the bumper. Slid into place, the tailgate / spare tire will not open completely, but enough I can get inside, sit and push up and start it backward. Once about half off, I get out, close tailgate, get under roof, lift and slide. Go reverse for putting back on. It likely helps that I am 6'3". Very happy with the set up. I now don't have to rely on a neighbor to assist.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4020018070.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	495269
Old 09-05-2013, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I pull mine off solo every time. I just unbolt everything. Pull off the front panels and open the tail gate. Ill lift it up and drag it back to the last cross bar on the cage. Then I grab between the glass and support the center towards the front. Ill walk it back and set it down softly on the back corners. Ill go out the front and lightly lay it down. I lift the back a bit to shut the glass and I'm done.
It's not that heavy and I can do it with having a bad shoulder from a dislocation years ago.

Only real advice for solo, don't try it when it's windy, it get dicey.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking it off alone isn't TOO bad. Putting it back on alone (starting with it on the ground) is what's tricky lol

Quick Reply: Hard top off with one person