Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Headrest Swap

Old 12-19-2007, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife had the same complaint last weekend too. It doesn't bother me so it's more for the passenger than the driver. I think she got me seat covers for Xmas so I'll see if they make a difference.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Headrests are bad on the JK but I found if you change the height of the head rest so it is over your head it helps
Old 12-19-2007, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to say it but the headrest positioned forward and the hardness of it is a fedral safety standard for 2010. Jeep is just ahead of the ball game on this one everyone else will be going to a similar design.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea, a head rest that is able to arrest the movement of your head has to be quite firm. I have heard the complaint that many headrests in the past are too soft and compliant (I can't find a link right now).

What I don't understand is why Jeep made the surface that touches your head so hard. It is a radical change from the ones in previous vehciles that are soft. I want the best of both worlds. Hard and forward is fine if that is what is needed. Then add a little padding on the outside to protect my melon when I am not executing a crash manuver. Since I rarely execute a crash manuver I would like my vehicle to be useable for the rest of the time. I suppose the double seat cover trick works just fine.

While I agree that you shouldn't be taking a nap while driving there are 3 more head rests that are not located behind a steering wheel on my JK 4dr. Maybe yours are different?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headrest short for head restraint and the new standard only lets it compress so much under impact.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kcpanther
Headrests are bad on the JK but I found if you change the height of the head rest so it is over your head it helps
I wouldn't do that if I was you. You never know when sh!t happens and you don't want to smack the back of your head on the metal bars.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 07 toyota corolla and the head rests are similar but I took them off and fliped the back of it to the front it helped alot i tryed it on my jeep but i couldnt get the head rest off does the head rest come off if so flip them and it will not have the roll against your head
Old 12-20-2007, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

in all honesty...I'm pretty sure that is the only reason my wife WON'T replace her chevy with a second jeep! Sucks I know, but hey...its her ride.

Quick Reply: Headrest Swap