Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hemi?

Old 10-22-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hemi?

Well I'm still hung up weather I wanna drop the cash to do a hemi or save some cash by doing a SC. One thing that would help my decision is if the new 5.7 vvt can be mated with the new 8 speed tranny and work in our jk. Is this possible or do I have to wait for someone to put out a new conversion kit?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a recent thread about a Chevy LS engine swap and I found it quite informative
Old 10-22-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I have kept up with that thread but I believe they just talk about the 6speed auto in it. I'm wondering about the new 8speed, also I was on a site about LS motors that was saying the hemisphere vvt was a better motor than the ls
Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did the supercharger thing first and it did not really give you the torque or horsepower when you need it which is in the lower RPM band. Did not really kick in well till above seventy miles an hour. I looked at putting a LS or 5.7VVT in and decided on the 5.7VVT with the 545RFE transmission (5 speed). I would have like to have the 65RFE (6 speed) instead but could not find anybody locally that was doing that combination. Really liked the idea of the LS but again no one local that was doing that conversion. So the 5.7 VVT is going in. No matter what it is an improvement on the 3.8.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4wdave
Did the supercharger thing first and it did not really give you the torque or horsepower when you need it which is in the lower RPM band. Did not really kick in well till above seventy miles an hour. I looked at putting a LS or 5.7VVT in and decided on the 5.7VVT with the 545RFE transmission (5 speed). I would have like to have the 65RFE (6 speed) instead but could not find anybody locally that was doing that combination. Really liked the idea of the LS but again no one local that was doing that conversion. So the 5.7 VVT is going in. No matter what it is an improvement on the 3.8.
Thanks for the reply. I wish I could find some guys local with a hemi and one with a SC so I could see first hand
Old 10-22-2012, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EsByrd
Thanks for the reply. I wish I could find some guys local with a hemi and one with a SC so I could see first hand
I would definitely recommend driving both if you could. By the time I added all the weight of mods the SC did not keep the transmission from down shifting when going up the hills around the house unless I got above 2700 rpm which put me about 75 mph. If you are not adding a lot of weight and tires above 33's then I would say a SC would be fine.

Last edited by 4wdave; 10-22-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4wdave

I would definitely recommend driving both if you could. By the time I added all the weight of mods the SC did not keep the transmission from down shifting when going up the hills around the house unless I got above 1700 rpm which put me about 75 mph. If you are not adding a lot of weight and tires above 33's then I would say a SC would be fine.
Well I've done replaced my bumpers and added rock rails, winch, and 37 nitto trail grapplers so I figure I'm pretty heavy
Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm impatiently waiting for the AEV kit to release for '12 model... There's no replacement for displacement ...
Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lol I agree. I would really like to be able to merge into traffic with no horns blowing at me
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

I have drove every kind of supercharger mostly on camaros and corvettes and stuff like that and they do add power but depends on what u like to do and how long you plan on keeping it but a supercharger puts more strain on the engine and driveline compared to being a naturally aspirated engine. In my opinion i would rather drop money into a reliable engine like the hemi then waste money on trying to make power out of the 3.8 or 3.6. They are good engines but were never designed to be forced induction motors and you have way less parts to go wrong with the hemi which makes things more reliable for your dd or if your rock climbing or doing expedition style trips. And you cant beat the sound of a V8 anyways

Quick Reply: hemi?