Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you attach your Harbor Freight winch plate to the frame?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you attach your Harbor Freight winch plate to the frame?

Who has the Harbor Freight winch plate? How did you attach it to the frame? I have the winch plate, and a brand new XRC8 winch in the garage and I'm needing to get it installed!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are quite a few threads on this. You have to use the search feature.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't find anything that showed how to attach the Harbor Freight winch plate. I'm hoping somebody can help.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

I am not sure if the plates are exactly the same. I have a Champion winch and winch plate. Very generic, I cut the bumper to fit around the plate. I mounted it right to the top of the frame rails. I did have to drill one hole on each side. It fit tight to the top of the rails. There were three bolts throught the top layer of the frame rail on each side. very secure. the plate ws the same width as the frame rails. I have since changed bumpers. I hope this helps. good luck

Last edited by capt scotty; 07-01-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I drilled new holes in the plate and used 4 grade 8 u-bolts running around the frame rails. It was pretty low on the hassle scale, and it's solid.

edit- I did have to trim off the rear "lip" to keep it from interfering with the painted grill.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by capt scotty
I am not sure if the plates are exactly the same. I have a Champion winch and winch plate. Very generic, I cut the bumper to fit around the plate. I mounted it right to the top of the frame rails. I did have to drill one hole on each side. It fit tight to the top of the rails. There were three bolts throught the top layer of the frame rail on each side. very secure. the plate ws the same width as the frame rails. I have since changed bumpers. I hope this helps. good luck

Did you run your bolts all the way to the bottom side of the frame rails, or did you just put a nut under the top of the rail and bolt it there? Did you drill all the way through the frame rail, top and bottom? How long were the bolts?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

I have the same "universal mount" (actually two) sitting in my shed. I could not figure it out either so I mounted the winch to the bumper instead of the frame.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bone
Did you run your bolts all the way to the bottom side of the frame rails, or did you just put a nut under the top of the rail and bolt it there? Did you drill all the way through the frame rail, top and bottom? How long were the bolts?
Good questions, wondering the same thing.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TxCop07
I have the same "universal mount" (actually two) sitting in my shed. I could not figure it out either so I mounted the winch to the bumper instead of the frame.
want to sell one?
Old 07-01-2009, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

hell if you come to the beach run on sat i will give you one

Quick Reply: How did you attach your Harbor Freight winch plate to the frame?