Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I make a 4” suspension lift work on a 2013 JKU Rubicon?

Old 02-01-2016, 10:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How do I make a 4” suspension lift work on a 2013 JKU Rubicon?

Hello Fellow Jeepers! New Jeeper here..

I have been looking at the 4" JK Wrangler Unlimited Full Suspension Lift kit Zone Offroad ($576) which can be found here:

Robot Check

What other things do I need to buy. I’ve heard to get adjustable control arms (some say upper, some say lower, some say both) and I’ve heard to get a Ranch control arm correction bracket. I also heard about the exhaust being in the way, so would I need to do exhaust spacers?

I also saw a video on youtube for the ARB Old Man Emu 4” lift kit for $1400 that did not show any exhaust issues or crazy driveshaft angles. Any thoughts? Trying to save money but do it right the first time.

I am new to Jeeps, and would love to have my 2013 Unlimited Rubicon sitting up on a 4 inch lift with 35’s in the next year or so. Thanks in advance for help with this!
Old 02-01-2016, 10:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Start with the basics. As you lift higher, you introduce problems. Which components fix those problems? At what height (range) are you likely to want to correct whichever issue? There is a thread stuck right to the top of this Modified area that might be a good place to start.

Since you picked one of the cheapest 4" kits on the market, it's a good bet that it is cutting some corners or missing some components that you just might want, right? So break down that lift and see what you get.

Coils (for the price of this kit, do you suppose these will be top quality?)
Shocks (again, quality?)
Front trackbar (to center the front axle)
Rear trackbar bracket (to center the rear axle)
CAM BOLTS !!! (did I make that noticeable enough? That is your caster correction, do some reading!)
Rear swaybar links (you will move the stock rear links to the front)
Bumpstops
Brakeline brackets

Exhaust spacer - they have it listed as a requirement for 2012-2016, your jeep falls into that range, so? If you don't want to run that, look into a thinner aftermarket front driveshaft. And just a note, you don't have to see crazy driveshaft angles to have an issue there. As you lift higher, the joint right at the tcase runs at a steeper angle. People have lost them with 2.5" lifts. (and others are ok with 4-5" lifts). Something to crawl underneath and watch for as part of regular maintenance!

What is not included that you have to have? Dunno, looks relatively complete. Quality components? No clue, I've never run their products, but for the price, I doubt it.

The other item to research is correction for the steeper angles on the front trackbar and draglink. Since you chose a kit with cam bolts, I will go ahead and guess that you will automatically look at a drop pitman if/when you decide to correct this. A flip is the better option...

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-01-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

4 inch is a lot for only 35's. You can run 35's with a 2.5" lift. I would look at teraflex, get a complete setup from them, you will be much happier. Zone is a budget brand. And does not include everything you need. In order to lift 4" correctly, you will spend between 1500-2000.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go with 2.5 lift and 35s with flat fender mod 👍🏽👌🏻 that will look bad ass
Old 02-02-2016, 11:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't even need flat fenders.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I would spend a little more and avoid the Zone lift. As others have mentioned, 2.5" to 3" is plenty for running 35's.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the time you are taking to help me out with this. I agree it makes complete sense not to cut corners when it comes to lift. I will not be going with a zone kit. I am still a bit interested in the Old Man Emu lift kit. That's a complete $1400 kit and I've heard good things on these forums with respect to that brand.

ARB OMEJK4 4" Lift Kit for JK Wrangler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JXFR2Q..._xgxSwb9SF68K2

I like the idea of being up that high, idk.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with that kit, and what else they needed to add to fix the geometry of their jeep. In a video it looked like the kit itself moved the axle to fix it. Not really sure. Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kojack
Don't even need flat fenders.
flat fenders = sexy
Old 02-02-2016, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikeytotheg
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the time you are taking to help me out with this. I agree it makes complete sense not to cut corners when it comes to lift. I will not be going with a zone kit. I am still a bit interested in the Old Man Emu lift kit. That's a complete $1400 kit and I've heard good things on these forums with respect to that brand. ARB OMEJK4 4" Lift Kit for JK Wrangler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JXFR2Q..._xgxSwb9SF68K2 I like the idea of being up that high, idk. Just wondering if anyone has experience with that kit, and what else they needed to add to fix the geometry of their jeep. In a video it looked like the kit itself moved the axle to fix it. Not really sure. Thanks again everyone! Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
to be honest that lift ( zone ) is crap for jeeps they say is only good for trucks
Old 02-02-2016, 07:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

and what else they needed to add to fix the geometry of their jeep.
Same things already talked about. When you go to a taller lift, you introduce issues, and you need to consider whether you will want to correct them. And if so, how you will go about it. Everyone can, and does, have different opinions on what is 'needed', so research is your friend...

You chose another lift that comes with CAMS, apparently you like them over any of the better forms of caster correction. It comes with brackets instead of longer brakelines. Will that work for your usage? (Be sure and flex it out to make sure you don't rip one off the frame). It does not include steering correction, but you don't care about that. Same issues with the exhaust, make a decision on which way you want to go.

A few minutes researching what the various components do will help in making some semi-informed decisions. Sure beats a stream of posts: 'how about this one?' No, then how about this one? No, then how about this one? No, etc.

(I personally like taller lifts, but as you can see from the other replies - I am in the minority. Go into it with your eyes open, rather than "I want a huge lift so I am getting the cheapest huge lift I can find!!)

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-02-2016 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: How do I make a 4” suspension lift work on a 2013 JKU Rubicon?