Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How do I make a 4” suspension lift work on a 2013 JKU Rubicon?

Old 02-02-2016, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
A few minutes researching what the various components do will help in making some semi-informed decisions. Sure beats a stream of posts: 'how about this one?' No, then how about this one? No, then how about this one? No, etc. (I personally like taller lifts, but as you can see from the other replies - I am in the minority. Go into it with your eyes open, rather than "I want a huge lift so I am getting the cheapest huge lift I can find!!)
I appreciate your help. Just getting into looking at jeep parts now. Coming from tuning cars my whole life and working mostly with performance, I have no idea what most of this stuff is or does. Have done some research but the hardest part is that everyone says what they have is the best option out there.

Thanks to everyone taking time to actually explain this stuff. In between planning lessons for second grade, grading my students' papers and business meetings for my other businesses, I try to read up and watch videos. I'll get there haha.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 02-02-2016, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeytotheg
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the time you are taking to help me out with this. I agree it makes complete sense not to cut corners when it comes to lift. I will not be going with a zone kit. I am still a bit interested in the Old Man Emu lift kit. That's a complete $1400 kit and I've heard good things on these forums with respect to that brand.

ARB OMEJK4 4" Lift Kit for JK Wrangler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JXFR2Q..._xgxSwb9SF68K2

I like the idea of being up that high, idk.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with that kit, and what else they needed to add to fix the geometry of their jeep. In a video it looked like the kit itself moved the axle to fix it. Not really sure. Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
You will need either front lower control arms or a bracket. For you I would recommend the bracket.

Robot Check

Im going to put this bluntly.

Do not get a 4" lift. From your questions, you aren't ready for it, plus, it will look stupid. I run 38" tires and I don't have a 4" lift.

Getting a 4" lift is going to end up creating a bunch of other issues, and its not going to be cheap in the long run.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roryslife
you will need either front lower control arms or a bracket. For you i would recommend the bracket. robot check im going to put this bluntly. Do not get a 4" lift. From your questions, you aren't ready for it, plus, it will look stupid. I run 38" tires and i don't have a 4" lift. Getting a 4" lift is going to end up creating a bunch of other issues, and its not going to be cheap in the long run.
x2 !!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 04:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeytotheg
... That's a complete $1400 kit and I've heard good things on these forums with respect to that brand.

ARB OMEJK4 4" Lift Kit for JK Wrangler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JXFR2Q..._xgxSwb9SF68K2
EMU makes great stuff. But that isn't complete. The higher you lift your Jeep, the more the axles shift outboard (one each direction), closer (front to back of wheelwell, rear to front), and rotate (pointing the pinions higher). A "complete lift" would address all of that--control arms, trackbars, driveshafts and even differential covers.

You can avoid the couple thousand dollars of extra expense to do so by keeping your lift height minimal. There is little performance gain with higher lift (slight improvement in approach and departure angles, some gear higher above water during fording), and significant performance hits (reduced gas mileage/range, higher COG making rollovers easier, reduced vehicle reliability, higher repair costs).

Honestly, if you don't completely understand exactly what I've written and why it is true, then you really should do some more studying. Dirtman has an excellent post on this: "My thoughts on lifts" in the JK mods subforum stickies.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by brankz
Just go with 2.5 lift and 35s with flat fender mod ?dc4d?dffd?dc4c?dffb that will look bad ass
Exactly. Here's mine with that setup
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160204_125142.png
Views:	58
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	636632  
Old 02-04-2016, 01:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3"Lift, Flat fenders, 37" tires.
Click image for larger version

Name:	11699006_10204627771194098_6290637029506522423_o (1).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	636636

You really don't want 4" for 35's unless your prepared to spend the money to get a complete kit of which very few are. I would go 2 1/2 or 3 for 35's. No matter which kit you buy you will still need to address driveline angles which compromises steering angles which in turn can make your Jeep drive poorly. The higher you go the worse it gets.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Another thing that wasn't mentioned is: Don't just assume that the listed height is what you will get - you should also do some reading on the specific coils you choose to get an idea of just how much lift 'you' are likely to get based on your current build. (ex. My 4door is relatively light, my MC coils were apparently designed for armored rigs. With 3.5" coils, I am closer to 5". Their 2.5" coils would have put me at the 3.5" mark where I initially intended to be...)
Old 02-05-2016, 01:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Another thing that wasn't mentioned is: Don't just assume that the listed height is what you will get - you should also do some reading on the specific coils you choose to get an idea of just how much lift 'you' are likely to get based on your current build. (ex. My 4door is relatively light, my MC coils were apparently designed for armored rigs. With 3.5" coils, I am closer to 5". Their 2.5" coils would have put me at the 3.5" mark where I initially intended to be...)
X100 and also most coils remove the rake.
A 4" coils will most likely net over 5" in the front, NOT good for caster/pinion angles.

Quick Reply: How do I make a 4” suspension lift work on a 2013 JKU Rubicon?