Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I want to roll bedliner in my JK, but I need some advice.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to roll bedliner in my JK, but I need some advice.

Ive been wanting to get the carpet ripped out of my Jeep and roll in the bedliner for a while now, but I havent had the time and Im not really sure how easy its going to be. A week ago, i had the top off and it rained, a lot. About two inches of water was in my Jeep, so I figured the quickest way to dry it was to just rip out the carpet and pull the plugs. That was easy, now the hard part. I searched around the site and saw that a lot of people used the Monstaliner, although Im not sure if its the best. I also saw that a one gallon kit is enough for two good coats in 2 door JK. I plan on pulling out the seats and cleaning it out on a friday night and then rough up the surface and roll in the bedliner that saturday. The dry times posted varied, but I assume I am going to allow it to dry the rest of the day/night and put the seats back in the next day. This seems easy enough, but I have a few questions first. I really dont want to mess it up.

1. How quick should I apply each coat and should I allow each coat to dry between each application?
2. Is the one gallon kit going to be enough to do the inside part of my gate as well as the entire inside of my jeep?
3. Will the temperature be a factor in the application and drying time?
4. Is there anything else I will need that the kit doesn't include?
5. should i seal the two oval holes on the back, inside panel in front of the wheel well, or leave them open? (they were covered by a large piece of tape when I removed the carpet)

Sorry for the long post. Any other advice will be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,

JUMBO
Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon_6983
Ive been wanting to get the carpet ripped out of my Jeep and roll in the bedliner for a while now, but I havent had the time and Im not really sure how easy its going to be. A week ago, i had the top off and it rained, a lot. About two inches of water was in my Jeep, so I figured the quickest way to dry it was to just rip out the carpet and pull the plugs. That was easy, now the hard part. I searched around the site and saw that a lot of people used the Monstaliner, although Im not sure if its the best. I also saw that a one gallon kit is enough for two good coats in 2 door JK. I plan on pulling out the seats and cleaning it out on a friday night and then rough up the surface and roll in the bedliner that saturday. The dry times posted varied, but I assume I am going to allow it to dry the rest of the day/night and put the seats back in the next day. This seems easy enough, but I have a few questions first. I really dont want to mess it up.

1. How quick should I apply each coat and should I allow each coat to dry between each application?
2. Is the one gallon kit going to be enough to do the inside part of my gate as well as the entire inside of my jeep?
3. Will the temperature be a factor in the application and drying time?
4. Is there anything else I will need that the kit doesn't include?
5. should i seal the two oval holes on the back, inside panel in front of the wheel well, or leave them open? (they were covered by a large piece of tape when I removed the carpet)

Sorry for the long post. Any other advice will be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,

JUMBO
I'm curious also!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:18 AM
JK Super Freak

I read a very thorough and informative thread explaining exactly what you need. I'm on my phone right now but search Raptor Liner.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made the following thread you might want check it out https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...hreads-238739/

I'm on my iPhone but that thread has a link to how to remove your carpet also. There's also a monster liner video on there to check out about texture.

The raptor liner kit was 1 gallon and I didn't have any problems getting a good solid two coats on it.

Good luck,

Last edited by Rooster76; 10-10-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would plug the hole in the sides. I cold welded mine with J B Weld and aluminum sheeting . There's info on that with pictures on the link above.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rooster76
I would plug the hole in the sides. I cold welded mine with J B Weld and aluminum sheeting . There's info on that with pictures on the link above.
Thanks for the info. There was obviously stuff I didn't even think about on that thread.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. There was obviously stuff I didn't even think about on that thread.
I'm glad it helped
Old 10-25-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Default Decided to go with the Raptor liner

After a good deal of forum searching and reading, I've decided to go with the spray in Raptor liner. I ordered the kit with the gun yesterday for $120. It should be in within 3-5 days, so next weekend, it's on. I got a list of stuff that I know I'll need, but any other suggestions would be great. I really don't want to have to put this job on hold to make a run to the store. So far, the list includes Acetone, JB weld, 1 sq ft Aluminum sheet (to patch large holes in front of wheel well in tub), rubber gloves, masking tape, ear plugs, plastic roll, news papers, Etch primer (if bare metal shows), sand paper, sanding bit for drill, and beer. I have a shop vac and an air compressor already. If there is anything else i should pick up that came in handy for anyone else, let me know. I have a few questions too.
1. Is the dry ice method easier than the torch method to remove the sound/heat reducer on the floor boards and under the back seat?
2. How long should I wait between spraying the coats?
3. After the second coat is in, how long should i wait before i put the seats in?
4. What is a general time frame from start to finish of this whole project?

Like I said before, any extra advice or tips are appreciated. I will also post pictures of the process and let everyone know of any problems I run into.

-Jumbo
Old 10-25-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a good deal of forum searching and reading, I've decided to go with the spray in Raptor liner. I ordered the kit with the gun yesterday for $120. It should be in within 3-5 days, so next weekend, it's on. I got a list of stuff that I know I'll need, but any other suggestions would be great. I really don't want to have to put this job on hold to make a run to the store. So far, the list includes Acetone, JB weld, 1 sq ft Aluminum sheet (to patch large holes in front of wheel well in tub), rubber gloves, masking tape, ear plugs, plastic roll, news papers, Etch primer (if bare metal shows), sand paper, sanding bit for drill, and beer. I have a shop vac and an air compressor already. If there is anything else i should pick up that came in handy for anyone else, let me know. I have a few questions too.
1. Is the dry ice method easier than the torch method to remove the sound/heat reducer on the floor boards and under the back seat?
2. How long should I wait between spraying the coats?
3. After the second coat is in, how long should i wait before i put the seats in?
4. What is a general time frame from start to finish of this whole project?

Like I said before, any extra advice or tips are appreciated. I will also post pictures of the process and let everyone know of any problems I run into.

-Jumbo
Flash time between coats is quick I think about 40 min. It will tell you in the instructions. Mask everything extremely well because you will get lots of overspray. I would wait at least 24 hrs before the seats go in even though it will be dry to the touch shortly after you last coat. One thing I did was lay it on thicker in the footwell areas for more protection. I was able to get three good coats on my jku. One other thing , for a really clean look think about running the wires that run to the back up the pillar and underneath the rollbar cover . That way no wire are exposed in the tub. You will have to splice in about a five foot section of wires but in my opinion its worth the time and effort
Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the time I probably spent about 10 hrs. Thats removing all the seats , masking everything , spraying and reassembly after its cured. Make sure you have a good breaking bar for the seat bolts and I cant stress enough to MASK really well. I picked up some wide painters tape, around 4" wide which helped greatly as well as the 1/2" stuff.

Quick Reply: I want to roll bedliner in my JK, but I need some advice.