Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ICON coilovers anyone?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ICON coilovers anyone?

Thinking about lifting my JKUR, so why not go directly with coilovers? Dont want anything too wild (high), which leaves me more or less with ICONs only (since the others like EVOMFG, RK, Synergy only start at 3"-3.5"), since these are 1.75"-3". The only issue is however, that there doesnt seem to be anybody actually running them or at least nobody, that would share his experience with this product, or is there?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

umm. coil overs can be set to any height you want. Shock travel and coil rates will be the determining factor in how low you can set your lift height.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Like the prev response, shock length ie travel will be the limit on how low you can go. I've not run any icon stuff but hear good feedback on their Toyota and raptor shocks. Their customer support is supposedly great too.

I have the EVO Coilovers. 12" travel shock. You probably could run a 10" instead. But the real key is your lower shock mount. ORE made mounts for the front and didn't use the rockstars on the rear. This let me have 2-2.5" of lift on the low end. Can go higher if needed. In my case I had to go up to 3" to get the up travel I wanted( for high speed desert). Also, I didn't use the drag link flip kit as you loose up travel.

I will say the ride and handling at 2"-2.5" of lift was the best it's ever been. Overall ride is great on road and on washboard. This is still the case at 3". I had a 4" lift with soft coils and fox 2.0 resi before. Jkur.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for your input! Could you please elaborate on the changes you made to the mounts? Every coilover has some working range and if I am not to build my own, I have to adhere to what the manufacturer has provided. Aka if EVO MFG claim their lift set-up range is 3.5-5.5", than its clear that when set up to both limits there will be different travel, however my concern is rather the total lift (as I am limited by underground garage height to some 2-3" lift only).

Originally Posted by mrmike
Like the prev response, shock length ie travel will be the limit on how low you can go. I've not run any icon stuff but hear good feedback on their Toyota and raptor shocks. Their customer support is supposedly great too.

I have the EVO Coilovers. 12" travel shock. You probably could run a 10" instead. But the real key is your lower shock mount. ORE made mounts for the front and didn't use the rockstars on the rear. This let me have 2-2.5" of lift on the low end. Can go higher if needed. In my case I had to go up to 3" to get the up travel I wanted( for high speed desert). Also, I didn't use the drag link flip kit as you loose up travel.

I will say the ride and handling at 2"-2.5" of lift was the best it's ever been. Overall ride is great on road and on washboard. This is still the case at 3". I had a 4" lift with soft coils and fox 2.0 resi before. Jkur.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PET77
Thanks for your input! Could you please elaborate on the changes you made to the mounts? Every coilover has some working range and if I am not to build my own, I have to adhere to what the manufacturer has provided. Aka if EVO MFG claim their lift set-up range is 3.5-5.5", than its clear that when set up to both limits there will be different travel, however my concern is rather the total lift (as I am limited by underground garage height to some 2-3" lift only).
call www.karnagemotorsports.com he deals with them and can tell you more tell him jkjeepsofamerica sent you
Old 01-08-2014, 05:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You have to push the mounts out away from the frame a bit to allow for the diameter of the coils. Look at the collapsed and extended length of the shocks not the intended lift height. the off road evolution coil overs set 3" high due to the high coil rates they run. All you need to do is run a lighter coil rate on the top coil and you will ride lower. The top ring allows you to fine tune your lift height.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Been trying to get some info on MFG bolt-ons, but MFG webs are not really helping. There is the old one, which features the bolt-ons F/R and a new one, which features only the F (hoewever w/o price and info on what the kit includes). Do they still even sell the standard R bolt-ons (not the EVOlever)?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PET77
Thinking about lifting my JKUR, so why not go directly with coilovers? Dont want anything too wild (high), which leaves me more or less with ICONs only (since the others like EVOMFG, RK, Synergy only start at 3"-3.5"), since these are 1.75"-3". The only issue is however, that there doesnt seem to be anybody actually running them or at least nobody, that would share his experience with this product, or is there?
Ive been looking ar these ad well. I spoke to Icon and they told me several hundred have been installed. Unfortunately no one with an Internet connection.

Im going to get them anyway later this year. Someone has to be the first, and I can afford it.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

........:-)
Old 01-09-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hate the word bolt-on and and coilover in the same sentence....why do you feel the need for coilovers? If you have money to blow go for it, but if your going to do coilover i dont see why it should be imo "downgraded" to be a bolt on kit. you might want to read dirtmans lift thoughts before just jumping into a bolt on coilover.

Heres a basic video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r40dF2Y0gQs There lift components are probably on there site also.

Last edited by Maertz; 01-09-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: ICON coilovers anyone?